Police Beat March 21, 2024

You are currently viewing Police Beat March 21, 2024

Granville Police Beat

Editor’s note: A charge is not a conviction. All persons listed are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Charges can be amended or dismissed.

March 8

10 a.m. – An officer was requested to check the Pine Street area for a compromised individual. No such person was found.

March 9

12:10 a.m. – Police completed an area check along Quaker Street and found a male sitting along the side of the road. He stated he had just been fighting with his girlfriend. The subject was given a ride to the station where he was met by the girlfriend, who stated there were no further issues and the pair returned home.

March 11

4 p.m. – An officer was called to assist the Washington County Sheriff’s Office with a woman who has overdosed in a vehicle in the parking lot of a Quaker Street business. The matter was turned over to deputies.

March 12

9:25 a.m. – Police were summoned to Mettowee Street for a welfare check. A man requested they confirm everything was OK with a resident he had not heard from in 10 days. The subject was contacted and confirmed he was fine, and asked the officer to relay a message to his friend that he would make contact soon.

March 14

9:30 a.m. – Police were notified of a blue pick-up truck driving at a high rate of speed along Church Street with no plates. The caller advised the vehicle was now parked at a residence on South Maple. The officer drove by and confirmed there were no plates. A short time later the vehicle was observed traveling on Morrison Avenue and a traffic stop was conducted. The driver indicated he had a temporary Vermont tag that was not visible through a tinted window. Through subsequent investigation it was determined the temporary plate was not valid and the driver could not provide proof of insurance. Micheal Wade, 18, of Poultney, VT, was charged with a registration plate violation and no insurance. He was released pending a scheduled court appearance.

Whitehall Police Beat

March 8

8:56 p.m. Police were dispatched to a Broadway apartment in response to a woman’s complaint that she had been assaulted by another resident of the apartment. Upon arrival, officers saw that the woman had blood on her hands and face, but she refused medical attention. Police spoke to the man who was accused of assaulting the woman. He told them that she was the aggressor, having thrown a cigarette roller at him. She cut her hand on the side of the machine, which had sharp edges, he said. The woman subsequently confirmed the man’s version of events, saying she had been upset with remarks the man had been making to her. Although the man told officers he did not want anything done, police reviewed the tapes of the 9-1-1 call the woman had made and charged Jennifer A. Carson, 45, with third-degree falsely reporting an incident, a misdemeanor. Carson was issued an appearance ticket returnable April 10 in Village Court.

March 9

2:23 p.m. Police responded to a report of several people fighting on Broadway. Responding officers attempted to speak to the parties involved; one female swore at police and refused to talk to them; a man with blood on his head, face, hands and arms told them he had been fighting with another man who had been harassing his girlfriend. However, neither the man nor his girlfriend wanted to file a complaint and the man declined medical attention. As the girlfriend was walking away, the other woman began screaming at her, causing officers to again intervene. Police subsequently spoke with a neighbor, who told them the injured man had struck the other male involved in the fight, who was not at the scene when officers arrived, in the head with a pipe. The witness said video from a doorbell camera could corroborate the statement. The second man later contacted police and said the fight began when the first man made derogatory remarks about him to his 6-year-old son. None of those involved would file a complaint, so police closed the case.

9:10 p.m. Officers were dispatched to an Adams Street residence in response to a report of two suspicious males there who were looking for a woman named Crystal. The resident said the men came to his back door looking for Crystal and became agitated when told she was not there. The resident told the men they were no longer allowed on the property and they left. Police checked the immediate area but could not find the men. Early the next morning, patrols saw men matching the description of the suspicious males on Broadway. Officers conducted field interviews in which the men acknowledged going to the Adams Street residence. The men accused the resident of lying, but police told them the woman did not live at that address and the pair agreed to stay away from the house.

March 12

6:35 p.m. Police responded to a Potter Street residence for a report of a disturbance. When they arrived, the resident told them his cousin was out of control and he was afraid she would vandalize his truck. The woman was not at the residence, but officers found her walking nearby. She told them she had just gone to her residence to get a tow strap. Approximately four hours later, police were called back to the residence because the woman’s vehicle was blocking the driveway. The woman told police she had parked briefly to run in and get her vaping device and that a resident had come out screaming at her. A passenger in the woman’s vehicle was found to be wanted on a warrant out of Glens Falls, but police there just asked local law enforcement to have the man turn himself in to Glens Falls officers.

March 13

11 a.m. A Whitehall woman appearing in Village Court was arrested by village police after they learned she was wanted on a warrant out of Glens Falls. Jamilee N. Hunt of Maple Street was taken into custody and turned over to Glens Falls police.

6:10 p.m. A Hampton man was taken into custody by village police after he turned himself in on an outstanding warrant. Scott D. Westerman Jr., 43, of Hickey Road, was taken to Washington County Court, where he was released on his own recognizance.

Rutland County Sheriff’s Office Beat

March 11

6:58 p.m. – A deputy on patrol along North Main Street in the Town of Wallingford observed a vehicle traveling at 89 mph in a 55-mph zone. A traffic stop was conducted. The operator was identified as 42-year-old George Flannery of Rutland. A subsequent check showed Flannery’s license was criminally suspended.

Flannery’s vehicle was turned over to a valid operator and he was cited on charges of excessive speed, negligent operation and driving with a suspended license. He was issued a citation to appear in Rutland Superior Court.

Vermont State Police Beat

March 7

5:02 p.m. – Troopers from the Rutland barracks were notified of a domestic assault that occurred the previous day on Stage Road in the Town of Benson. Through investigation, troopers determined 44-year-old Thomas Kasuba of Benson allegedly caused pain or bodily injury to a family member. Troopers also discovered Kasuba was allegedly in possession of multiple firearms while being a person prohibited from possessing such weapons by law.

Kasuba was arrested on the charge of second-degree domestic assault and illegally possessing firearms. He was processed and released under court-ordered conditions and ordered to appear in Rutland Superior Court at a later date.

March 10

1:26 a.m. – Troopers located a vehicle off the roadway on U.S. Route 4 in Killington. They identified the driver as 44-year-old Sharon Mitchill of Killington. According to the incident report, Mitchill showed signs of alleged impairment and was screened for DUI. Mitchill resisted arrest when troopers attempted to take her into custody and is accused of becoming aggressive. Mitchill was subdued and arrested for DUI, resisting arrest and assault on a law enforcement officer. She was processed and released on a citation to appear in Rutland Superior Court.

1:50 a.m. – State police responded to a report of a one-vehicle accident on VT Route 30 in the Town of Pawlet. Troopers identified the driver as 32-year-old Kaitlyn Graham of Castleton. During the investigation, troopers alleged Graham displayed several indicators of impairment and was ultimately taken into custody for driving under the influence.

Graham was released to a sober party and issued a citation to appear in Rutland Superior Court.

March 11

5:22 p.m. – A trooper responded to the are of U.S. Route 7 in Wallingford for a single-vehicle motor vehicle crash. Through interaction with the operator, 59-year-old Robert Johnson Jr. of Castleton, the trooper observed signs of alleged impairment. Johnson was placed under arrest on a DUI charge, confirmed by a blood draw. He was issued a citation to appear in Rutland Superior Court and released.

7:30 p.m. – Troopers located 40-year-old Michael Chionchio, listed as a transient, in the Hannaford parking lot in the Town of Rutland. Chionchio was wanted in connection with a previous threat in the plaza in which he gave law enforcement as false identification. Chionchio allegedly refused to obey commands and resisted arrest.

Chionchio was eventually taken into custody and charged with retail and identification theft, false reports, impeding public officials, resisting arrest and on an outstanding warrant. He was remanded to the Marble Valley Correctional Facility without bail.

March 13

5:55 p.m. – State police on patrol in Clarendon observed a vehicle committing a motor vehicle violation and conducted a traffic stop. Upon investigation, it was determined the driver, 24-year-old Nicholas Bourn of Rutland, had a criminally suspended driver’s license. Troopers say he then resisted arrest.

Bourn was subdued and charged with resisting arrest and a suspended license violation. He was given a citation to appear in Rutland Superior Court and released.

6:45 p.m. – Vermont State Police were asked to assist the Rutland County Sheriff’s Office’s investigation into a possible threat targeting several students at the Mill River High School in Clarendon. Investigators identified the individuals involved and spoke with the relevant parties and school officials.

Police contacted the person who allegedly made the threat via social media and have taken steps to address and mitigate the situation. Classes and other school functions returned to normal the following day. Due to the age of the individuals involved, no additional information is available.