Police Beat Feb. 15

You are currently viewing Police Beat Feb. 15
Courtesy of Pixabay

Granville Police Beat

Feb. 5

1:57 p.m. – A village resident contacted the station to report she is receiving continual texts from two unwanted people. Officers attempted to contact the individuals without success. Next patrol will also attempt contact.

6:32 p.m. – Police received a call from an off-duty NYS trooper who indicated his wife noticed a person acting suspiciously at an area liquor store, who also had a child in a car with them. An officer checked the area for the vehicle with negative results.

Feb. 6

5:55 p.m. – Police received a report from a woman that a child she was caring for had run off from a Quaker Street business parking lot. The woman was attempting to bring the child home to meet a probation curfew. While patrolling the area in search of the child, police were advised he had returned home.

Feb. 7

9:10 a.m. – A person called for a follow-up on the previous evening’s welfare check. An officer knocked on the door and checked other entrances with no response. Calls were made to the person’s employment, who indicated the subject works late and often sleeps during the day. Shortly later, the subject called to indicate he was fine.

1 p.m. – A postal carrier contacted police to report a vehicle driving erratically on Mettowee Street. She indicated she had seen the same vehicle also driving erratically the previous day. She indicated she knew who the vehicle belonged to, but also stated it appeared to be different drivers each day. She was not confident enough with an identification to file a complaint.

Feb. 8

10:34 a.m. – Police received a call from a North Street facility about a woman who had an appointment there that day, but the appointment was being canceled because of a COVID-19 diagnosis. The caller said the woman was irate and abusive. Security at the facility requested police contact her to advise her to cease the phone calls. The caller appeared to be in Whitehall, and the local police were asked to assist. They contacted the individual and advised her to stop the phone calls.

Whitehall police Beat

Feb. 1

9:10 p.m. Police were dispatched to a Saunders Street home in response to a report of a chimney fire possibly spreading to the walls. On arrival, officers found the building full of smoke. Police updated dispatch about the situation. The Whitehall Volunteer Fire Department was called and police were released from the scene. One resident and a dog were in the home at the time of the fire; no injuries were reported. No significant damage to the exterior of the building was visible from the street.

Feb. 3

2:01 p.m. While patrolling on South Williams Street, officers observed two people sleeping inside a vehicle. Police conducted a welfare check and determined the two males were OK and did not need assistance with living arrangements.

6:24 p.m. Officers were dispatched to North Williams Street where a woman was reportedly slumped over the steering wheel of a car. When police arrived, she told them she was lost and did not recall being slumped over the wheel. Officers found no evidence of intoxication but the woman told them she is diabetic. Emergency medical personnel who had been called to the scene found her blood sugar level exceedingly high and said they were concerned about the result of an electrocardiogram. The woman was transported to Glens Falls Hospital; her car was towed.

Feb. 4

1:30 p.m. A Whitehall man called police to report he was being harassed on Facebook by a former Whitehall resident now living in South Carolina. The caller said the former resident is posting that he is pedophile and is engaging in an incestuous relationship. Officers said the situation is not currently a criminal matter but that they would contact the poster and ask him to stop. The caller said he feared police involvement would make matters worse. Two days later, the caller contacted police again and said the harassment was continuing and he now wanted police involvement. Later that day, the poster called police to say he would not contact the caller or his family any further.

3:59 p.m. Village police arrested a Whitehall man with an alleged history of run-ins with police on a bench warrant. Police executed the warrant on Robert W. Valley, 32, of North Williams Street. Valley was most recently cited by state Department of Environmental Conservation police for illegal burning.

Feb. 5

9:15 a.m. Officers were called to a Poultney Street business after receiving multiple reports of a woman trying to get into running vehicles at other locations. The woman was turned over to New York State Police, who gave her a ride to Fort Edward.

11:15 a,m. Police were called to a Broadway convenience store in response to a complaint that a sport-utility vehicle had been parked at the business for several days. Officers had the vehicle towed.

Feb. 7

8:15 a.m. Police were called to a different Broadway convenience store in response to a reported motor vehicle crash. According to police, one driver was attempting to pull into the parking lot as another driver was exiting. The driver trying to enter the lot said he was blinded by the sun and did not see the other vehicle. Police determined the driver trying to enter the lot was at fault but did not report any citations issued.

9 a.m. Officers were called to a Second Avenue residence in response to a report of a small child locked in a car with the keys inside it. An auto shop was able to unlock the door.

Fair Haven Police Beat

Feb 9

12 p.m. – Police arrested 35-year-old Theodore C. Smith Jr. of Fair Haven on an outstanding warrant after he entered the police station on another matter. The warrant was issued by Rutland Superior Court for failing to appear earlier this month for driving with a criminally suspended license. Smith is scheduled for arraignment.

Vermont State Police Beat

Feb. 3

10:42 a.m. – A trooper reportedly observed a vehicle traveling at 101 mph on U.S. Route 4 in Castleton. The vehicle was stopped and the driver, identified as 28-year-old Riley Bedard of Clarendon, allegedly showed signs of impairment. Bedard was charged with DUI-Drugs, driving with a criminally suspended license and negligent operation of a motor vehicle. Bedard was released with a citation to appear in Rutland Superior Court at a later date.

Feb. 4

7:37 a.m. – State police were asked to investigate a two-car crash involving a Fair Haven Police officer. The accident took place on the entrance ramp to U.S. Route 4 in Fair Haven. According to the report, the officer was attempting to conduct a traffic stop when he collided with the other vehicle. There were no injuries reported and no charges have been filed at this time.

Feb. 9

9 a.m. – A trooper was dispatched to a two-car crash on U.S. Route 7 in the Town of Rutland. Through investigation, it was determined that a vehicle operated by 43-year-old Morgan Over of Wallingford struck another vehicle stopped at a traffic light. Over was charged with following too closely. No injuries were reported. The Rutland Town Fire Department assisted at the scene.