Police Beat Jan. 18

You are currently viewing Police Beat Jan. 18
Courtesy of Pixabay
CRIMPrints Advertise BIGGER banner

Editor’s note: An arrest or a charge is not a conviction. All persons listed are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Charges can be amended or dismissed.

Granville Police Beat

Jan. 1

10:10 a.m. – The department received a report of a vehicle leaving the Price Chopper parking lot driving south on NYS Route 22, weaving between lanes and traveling very slow. The caller then advised the vehicle returned to the parking lot. The appropriate agencies were advised.

Jan. 2

9:19 a.m. – Police responded to a Madison Street address for a welfare check. A relative had been unable to contact the person in question. It was determined the person was fine and that there was a phone issue.

9:35 a.m. – A person called the station for advice on an eviction procedure. She was advised to contact the county court for more information. The caller said thanks, but she would wait until later in the month because she needed the person she wanted to evict to take her to an appointment soon.

11:00 a.m. – Police returned to the Madison Street address for another welfare check. The person in question was fine, just upset about her current domicile.

Jan. 3

5:45 p.m. – Officers were dispatched to a Lincoln Street address for an out-of-control person, possibly related to a drug overdose. EMS was called and police stood by until their arrival. The subject was transported to the Rutland Regional Medical Center without further incident.

Jan. 4

9:52 a.m. – Police were contacted by a County Route 24 resident who said their neighbor was cutting down trees and dragging them across his law. Since the location was outside the village the appropriate law enforcement agency was contacted.

12:35 p.m. – An officer was dispatched to an East Main Street location for a welfare check. A subsequent investigation determined the person in question was fine, but just did not answer the door because he wanted no further contact with the reporting person. That message was relayed.

3:06 p.m. – A village resident came to the station to request extra patrols around his Morrison Avenue home he had just purchased, due to items coming up missing during a renovation project.

6:30 p.m. – A vehicle was stopped on Quaker Street for a headlight violation. A verbal warning was issued.

Jan. 6

7:30 a.m. – An officer responded to an East Main Street location where a person was asking to retrieve personal effects. The person at the residence did not answer the door but did take a phone call. He said he would leave the belongings outside, but no longer wished any contact with the other person. The belongings were placed outside and retrieved. Police advised the person of the homeowner’s wishes.

8:23 p.m. – Police received a call about a Westview Drive resident attempting to harm themself. On arrival, the officer saw superficial cut wounds on the subject’s arm. That person then requested transport to Glens Falls Hospital for a mental health evaluation. Transport was provided without further incident.

Jan. 8

4:07 a.m. – A caller reported a loud bang and feared a vehicle had struck a residence on Water Street. On arrival, police found where a driveway had just been cleared of snow but found no evidence any vehicle or a building had been struck.

Whitehall Police Beat

Jan. 4

7:45 p.m. – A resident came to the station to report a barking dog in her neighborhood and requested the dog control officer’s number. She was provided with the phone number.

10:25 p.m. Police were dispatched to a Broadway residence for a report of a group of young people attempting to break into an apartment. Police arrived and observed five people enter a vehicle bearing New Hampshire plates and drive off at an excessive rate of speed. The officer pursued but terminated the chase because of speed. The vehicle was soon spotted once again on Broadway and a second officer was able to conduct a traffic stop.  At that time there were four people in the vehicle, most juveniles.

Police arrested the driver, 19-year-old Anthony Young of Manchester, New Hampshire, and charged him with fourth-degree criminal mischief, third-degree unlawfully fleeing a police officer, acting in a manner injurious to a child under 17, and second-degree criminal trespass. The other three underage individuals were released to the custody of their parents or guardians. Young’s vehicle was impounded and towed from the scene.

Police determined the group had reportedly kicked in the door to the apartment, causing an estimated $1,100 plus in damages.

Jan. 5

4:05 a.m. – Police were dispatched to a North Mountain Street location by a man who said another person was attempting to beat his daughter. He was not on the scene. Upon investigation it was determined the grandmother was the person involved and wanted two children removed for being “out of control.” One child reportedly punched the wall while being interviewed. EMS was called for an evaluation, however no transport was provided. Things calmed down and all parties agreed to remain separated for the night.

11:23 a.m. – An officer stopped a Vermont-plated vehicle on Riverside Drive for cellphone use while driving. The subsequent investigation indicated the vehicle plates had been switched and that the operator, 44-year-old Mark A. Ross of Whitehall, had a suspended license. The vehicle was impounded, towed and Ross was issued seven uniform traffic tickets.

Jan 6

12:32 a.m. – A loud noise complaint brought police to a Broadway residence, where police heard music coming from the back of the building. The officer told the occupants there had been a complaint and to please turn the music down. The occupants agreed and there was no further action.

4:54 p.m. – The 911 center advised patrols a vehicle traveling on Poultney Street was dragging something underneath it. The vehicle turned into a parking lot, where police approached the driver. He advised he had struck a black bag a short time ago but was unaware it was stuck. The bag was empty and was removed.

Jan. 8

5:57 p.m. – A Mountain Street resident called the station to inform officers she had recently moved from a Williams Street location, but that her former landlord was harassing her. Police contacted the landlord an advised he stop contacting the caller.

Jan 10

8:30 a.m. – Patrols were advised by a caller that the Berkshire Bank on Broadway had been struck by a plow. Police found damage to the building and interviewed the plow driver, who admitted his vehicle slid on a patch of ice and struck the bank. The driver was not hurt and a standard motor vehicle accident form was completed.

Jan. 11

2:34 a.m. – An officer was dispatched to Main Street to deal with a repeated noise complaint. The resident was contacted and warned to turn the volume down and indicated he would comply with the officer’s request.

Washington County Sheriff’s Office Beat

Jan. 8

Investigators arrested 34-year-old Phillip A. Kaetzel of Kingsbury following a Dec. 29 larceny from a Kingsbury residence of checks and currency. Kaetzel faces two felony counts of forgery and two felony counts of criminal possession of a forged instrument. He also faces misdemeanor charges of petty larceny, criminal possession of stolen property, two counts of possession of a controlled substance and criminally using drug paraphernalia.

Kaetzel was processed at Centralized Arraignment and released on his own recognizance.

New York State Police Beat

Dec. 29

12:46 p.m. – Troopers responded to a burglary in progress call at a NYS Route 22 home in Granville and on arrival, found 39-year-old Nigel A. Reeks of Whitehall exiting the garage. They also found a pick-up truck, allegedly being operated by Reeks, containing property stolen from the garage. A subsequent investigation determined Reeks did not have permission to be on the property and that the truck had been reported stolen earlier in the month to the Whitehall Police Department.

Troopers charged Reeks with third-degree burglary and three counts of criminal possession of stolen property. He was processed and transported to the Washington County Correctional Facility to await arraignment.

Fair Haven Police Beat

Jan. 5

6:45 p.m. Following a traffic stop for speeding on VT Route 22A, officers learned the operator of the vehicle, 41-year-old Allen E. Ayala of Bristol, was wanted on a warrant out of Addison County District Court for failure to appear in November of last year, on a charge of driving with a criminally suspended license.

Ayala was arrested, processed and released with a citation to appear in court at a later date.

Rutland County Sheriff’s Office Beat

Jan 7

2:39 p.m. – A deputy was dispatched to the area of Hillside Road and VT Route 140 in Poultney for a single-vehicle accident. The operator, who initially identified himself as Garon Whitney of Portsmouth, New Hampshire, allegedly showed signs of impairment. Whitney failed a field sobriety test and was arrested and charged with DUI. Whitney was transported to the Castleton Police Department for processing, where the deputy developed probable cause to believe Whitney had given a false name to deflect the investigation.

Shortly after, Whitney admitted to providing the deputy his brother’s name and that he was really 34-year-old Antwun S. Whitney of Portsmouth and Wells, Vermont. It was also determined he had an active warrant for his arrest from Merrimack County in New Hampshire for theft. New Hampshire authorities chose not to extradite at this time.

Whitney faces charges of DUI and providing false information to a police officer. He was issued a citation to appear in Rutland District Court at a later date.

Jan. 12

4:55 p.m. – While investigating an incident on Whipple Hollow Road in West Rutland, a deputy contacted 47-year-old Todd C. Peacock, listed as a transient. A records check showed Peacock had an active warrant for his arrest from the City of Rutland. Peacock was taken into custody without incident and lodged at the Marble Valley Regional Correctional Facility pending further court action.

7:26 p.m. – The department was attempting to locate 65-year-old Ronald E. Viggue Jr. to serve an arrest warrant for failure to appear in court stemming from a previous domestic assault charge. A deputy located him in his residence on Main Street in West Rutland and ordered him to surrender. Viggue is said to have refused several requests to exit the building. Two Pittsford Police officers were dispatched to the scene for assistance.

A search warrant for the residence was obtained and law enforcement entered the building, where Viggue was arrested without further incident. He was transported to the Marble Valley Regional Correctional Facility for confinement on the warrant.

Vermont State Police Beat

Dec. 30

5:22 p.m. – State police located 33-year-old Travis Bunnell at a Rutland shopping mall. Bunnell was known to have an active warrant for his arrest. He was taken into custody without incident. During a subsequent search troopers located suspected heroin.

Bunnell was incarcerated at the Marble Valley Correctional Facility on the outstanding warrant and issued a citation to appear in Rutland District Court on the drug charge.

Jan. 7

1:10 p.m. – Troopers responded to a two-vehicle crash on VT Route 133 in Clarendon. The operator of a southbound vehicle reportedly lost control on snowy roads, crossed into the northbound lane and struck an oncoming SUV before impacting with a power pole. No injuries were reported.

Troopers were assisted at the scene by the Rutland County Sheriff’s Office, Clarendon Fire Department, Regional Ambulance service and Green Mountain Power.

9:48 p.m. – Troopers were called to investigate a two-vehicle collision on Killington Road in Killington. The incident report indicates 44-year-old Andrew A. Spilato of Annandale, New Jersey, failed to yield the right of way when entering Killington Road, striking another vehicle. No injuries were reported.

During the investigation, troopers allege Spilato showed several indications of impairment. He was taken into custody, charged with DUI and released on a citation to appear in Rutland District Court at a later date.

Jan 8

9:10 a.m. – Vermont State Police investigated a two-car crash on Killington Road in Killington. It was determined a vehicle departing a business parking lot pulled in front of a northbound car, causing the collision. Neither driver was injured, however a passenger in the second vehicle reported some neck pain. Troopers say the investigation is pending. Law enforcement was assisted at the scene by the Killington Fire Department and the Regional Ambulance Service.

2:57 p.m. – Troopers report they located 54-year-old Paul E. Sweeney of Hopkinton, Massachusetts, at a residence in Pittsfield. Sweeney was taken into custody without incident as a fugitive from justice, on an extraditable warrant from Massachusetts.

Sweeney was also arrested at 10:02 p.m. that same day on charges of violating an active abuse prevention order on this date as well as on Jan. 1. He was lodged at the Marble Valley Correctional Facility pending extradition on the fugitive charge and $5,000 bail on the abuse counts.

Jan. 9

5:22 p.m. – Troopers conducted a motor vehicle stop in Rutland for an observed violation. The operator, identified as 21-year-old Kalen Marchinkowski of Rutland, was allegedly showing several signs of impairment and refused a field sobriety test. He was subsequently charged with DUI. It was also determined he had a criminally suspended license.

Marchinkowski was processed and released on a citation to appear in Rutland District court at a later date.

Jan. 11

11:33 p.m. – Troopers responded to a report of an accident on U.S. Route 4 in Rutland involving a tractor-trailer and a State of Vermont plow truck. According to the incident report, the driver of the tractor-trailer attempted to pass the plow and came into contact with that vehicle, causing the plow to leave the roadway. No injuries were reported. Troopers say charges are pending.

Law enforcement was assisted at the scene by the Rutland Town Fire Department and the Regional Ambulance Service.