Police Beat, Oct. 18, 2023

Editors Note: An arrest or charge is not a conviction. All persons listed are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Charges can be amended or dismissed.

Granville Police

Oct. 5 

5:22 a.m. – A woman turned over a red-colored hound dog she had found wandering near Stewart’s on Quaker Street. The dog was placed in the processing room until the owner showed up about 6 a.m. 

8:48 p.m. – A Salem resident came to the station to report a violation of an order of protection concerning a woman who resided in Fair Haven, VT. He claimed he was receiving unwanted Facebook messages, and knew they were from the other party involved. The officer advised they could not legally verify the sender and suggested the male party save the messages for a scheduled family court appearance later in the month. 

Oct. 6 

6:20 p.m. – A Main Street resident called the station to report a verbal and physical altercation with an East Main Street resident who had entered property on Lincoln Street to help move a refrigerator. Parties agreed no charges would be filed and the resident assisting with the move was given a ride home. 

7: 00 p.m. – An officer stopped a vehicle on Church Street because of no taillights. 26-year-old Aidan Burrows-Merrick produced a Colorado driver’s license that was suspended, also had no valid vehicle registration and had a failure to appear in Granville town court. Burrows-Merrick was issued uniform traffic tickets for insufficient tail lamps, aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle and operating as unregistered motor vehicle on a highway. He was released with an order to appear in court at a later date. The car was towed. 

7:28 p.m. – A Granville resident called 911 to report a light on in a Bulkley Avenue home owned by a bank with no one residing there. Police found evidence of a break-in, but upon clearing the building, did not locate anyone on the premises. The damaged door was secured as best as possible and the address placed on a watch list. 

Oct. 8 

10:25 a.m. – An officer began to follow a gray pick-up on Quaker Street for erratic driving, swerving in the lane and rapid speed changes. The vehicle turned onto North Street and sped up significantly above the speed limit. A traffic stop was conducted. The operator was identified as 39-year-old Kristina Loomis of Granville. It was determined she had a revoked driver’s license in New York state, as well as an order for interlock (breathalyzer device) if and when she obtained another license. According to the officer’s report, Loomis admitted she should not be driving but wanted a cup of coffee. Loomis was charged with use of a loaned/rented or leased vehicle without an interlock device, speeding, aggravated unlicensed operator in the 2nd degree with three or more suspensions, operating a motor vehicle without insurance and operating a unregistered motor vehicle. It was determined Loomis’ revocation was the result of an alleged vehicular manslaughter charge and DWI. 

11:25 a.m. 

Police were called to a Prospect Street location for suspicious youth activity in a nearby yard. The youths were gone on the officer’s arrival. 

3:30 p.m. – An officer responded to an East Main Street location for a report that a man, who had an order of protection leveled against him by the complainant’s girlfriend, had been seen driving by their residence. The complainant was advised such orders do not prevent a person from traveling on a public street. 

Oct. 9 

9:40 a.m. – Police responded to a smoke condition at a Quaker Street building. Smoke was reported in one unit. The occupant felt it came from the heating unit, which had been turned on for the first time since winter. The Granville Fire Department also responded and concurred with the occupant. Firefighters were unable to duplicate the situation and cleared the unit as safe for the resident to return. 

2:00 p.m. – Two men came to the station to report another man had come onto the Columbus Street property from across the road. They had the alleged intrusion on video. Police reviewed the video, which did indeed show a man coming onto the property for about a minute or less, with a flashing shining toward the ground as if he were looking for something. He then quickly left. The complainants were advised the intrusion did not rise to a criminal level. 

3:00 p.m. – A Main Street resident came to the station to report someone had taken the cushions off her chairs and placed them behind the Slate Valley Museum. She said it appeared someone had been lying on them and charging a device from an outside outlet. A video camera overlooking the scene was not working. The cushions were returned to the rightful owner. 

Oct. 10 

6:56 a.m. – An individual reported to police their backyard video camera picked up a person crossing their property and ran when the motion detector light came on. They did not know why the person of interest was there. Police said they would check their Saturday records to see if there were any other reports in the neighborhood. 

12:05 p.m. – Police received a report of a pick-up loaded with scrap metal parked on Morrison Street with parts falling off it onto the road. Police contacted the owner, who advised the truck had broken down and was going to be towed the next day after it was unloaded. The officer advised the truck was indeed overloaded and that the load should be broken down into several trips for safe transportation. 

1:10 p.m. – A Lawrence Street resident contacted police to say their dog was lost but found by another person, who refused to return it. The finder told law enforcement the dog was not in good condition and reported it to the animal control officer. The finder was advised to take the animal to a local vet. 

2:45 p.m. – A woman called police to report she did not believe her mother was being properly cared for a local senior facility.Police spoke with both the staff and the patient, who appeared to be in good health, but was confused as to why the facility would not release her. Police called the woman’s daughter and explained it was a matter to be taken up with the facility’s administration. 

Whitehall Police

Oct. 5

11:41 p.m. Village police arrested Robert W. Valley, 32, of Whitehall, on a bench warrant issued Sept. 27 after he failed to appear in court. The arrest came after Valley was stopped by New York State Police on Main Street for an alleged traffic violation. He was transported to the Washington County Jail pending a court appearance.

Oct. 6

2:41 a.m. Officers were called to Mountain Street in response to a report of an assault involving a baseball bat. The caller said he was investigating noises on the corner of Mountain and North Mountain streets when several men ran at him and stuck him in the head with a bat. One of the accused attackers said he and a third man had chased the caller after he was observed on their property attempting to steal marijuana plants growing there. The man said this was an ongoing problem and that the caller had been pushed, not struck with a bat. Officers did not find a bat at the scene. The man declined to press trespass charges against the caller but asked police to tell him to stay off the property. The caller agreed and the matter was closed.

Oct. 7

6:39 a.m. Two Whitehall residents were charged with second-degree criminal trespass after a Main Street resident reported the pair were in her apartment without her permission. Cricket J. Ashline, 33, and Robert C. Nunamacher, 35, were also each arrested on outstanding warrants; Nunamacher was being sought in Glens Falls and Ashline by Warren County. Nunamacher was transported to Glens Falls while Ashline was taken to the Washington County Jail for arraignment, then turned over the Warren County Sheriff’s Department.

Oct. 8

9:29 a.m. Officers received a walk-in complaint about an incident on Bellamy Street in which the person reporting said he was harassed. The man told police he was driving down Bellamy Street when a resident stopped him and began harassing him. He told police he had had prior problems with the resident and requested police speak to him. However, while police were talking to the purported victim, a witness called and told them that he – not the Bellamy Street resident – had threatened the resident with a machete. The complainant acknowledged having a machete in his truck but said he had not threatened anyone with it. Police obtained video footage of a portion of the incident from another Bellamy Street resident but could not see a machete. Police then received a call from the original complainant’s mother, who said the man complaining about her son had driven a four-wheeler down the road with a child who was not wearing a helmet in the vehicle. She said she wanted to press charges in the earlier incident, then became irate and told police she would be contacting an attorney. The responding officer asked that the attorney contact him to discuss the situation.

1:50 p.m. Police were called to Adams Street in response to a report of a domestic disturbance. When they arrived, both parties involved in the disturbance said they did not want police assistance. However, a file check showed that the woman in the dispute had an active warrant out of Warren County. Angelina M. Reyes, 26, was taken into custody and turned over to Warren County sheriff’s deputies.

Oct. 9

11:19 p.m. Officers were dispatched to Vaughn Street for a report of a disturbance involving a weapon. On arrival, police spoke to two of the people involved, who said the incident was a verbal dispute over cigarettes. The female involved said the third person had threatened the other man by saying he had a weapon and reached behind his back as if he did. No weapon was ever displayed and the man who allegedly made the threats said he did not own a weapon. Police checked but no weapon was found. The man agreed to stay away from the other two.

Oct. 11

12:51 a.m. A Whitehall woman and a Salem man were each charged with falsely reporting an emergency after police said they had called dispatch to report that a window on the woman’s Jeep had been smashed and that the man responsible was holding something that was on fire. Police responded to Champlain Avenue and were told the assailant had run down the road. Police located him at a residence on the street, where the people living there told them he had been at the residence for the past two hours. The man did acknowledge holding a flaming bandana, but said he used it to scare off the two complainants after they came to the house. Officers then returned to the complainants, who gave varying versions of what happened, ultimately admitting the window had been broken earlier in Fair Haven, Vermont. Rebecca L. Rathbun, 19, of Montcalm Avenue, Whitehall, and Michael R. Aydelotte-Cintron, 25, of County Route 30, Salem, were each charged with one count of third-degree falsely reporting a catastrophe or emergency, a misdemeanor. Both were processed and released on appearance tickets.

Vermont State Police

Oct. 12

3:44 p.m. — State troopers were called to the scene of a two-vehicle crash on U.S. Route 4 in Mendon. The preliminary investigation indicates a westbound vehicle was struck by another car when attempting to make a left turn onto Gateway Court.

Rodney Greene, 71, of Killington, was pronounced dead at the scene. Two others, including a 13-year-old juvenile, were seriously hurt. The juvenile was originally taken to the Rutland Regional Medical Center, then later transferred to University of Vermont Medical Center in Burlington. A third person received minor injuries.

Troopers were assisted at the scene by the Regional Ambulance Service as well as the Rutland Fire Department and the Killington Police Department. The investigation is ongoing and charges are pending.

Oct. 13

8:42 p.m. — Troopers responded to a report of a three-vehicle crash on U.S. Route 7 in Dorset. Law enforcement indicates all three vehicles were traveling north when one slowed down and caused the other two vehicles to rearend the first. No injuries were reported.

Oct. 14

11:34 p.m. — Troopers attempted to stop a vehicle on North Main Street in Rutland for an observed motor vehicle violation. The driver fled in what law enforcement described as a grossly negligent manner. The troopers then discontinued the chase.

The operator was later identified as 38-year-old Bobby Maniery of Clarendon. A search warrant was obtained for his known residence. Maniery was located inside the home, arrested and charged with eluding, grossly negligent operation of a motor vehicle, and resisting arrest. It was also determined Maniery had an outstanding arrest warrant.

He was processed and remanded to the Marble Valley Correctional Facility.

Fair Haven Police

Oct. 5

An officer arrested 19-year-old Rebecca L. Rathbun of Fair Haven on a charge of contempt of court, following an investigation of an abuse protection order. It is alleged Rathbun contacted a protected party that she was ordered by a court to stay away from. Rathbun was taken into custody and ordered to appear in Rutland Superior Court at a later date.

Oct. 5

Officers arrested two unidentified juvenile males, ages 13 and 14, both of Fair Haven, on charges of larceny and possession of a firearm. On Oct. 1, a Main Street resident reported the theft of a weapon. On Oct. 3, police received information that two juveniles had been in possession of a firearm while on school grounds behind the Cottage Street grade school. Through the investigation police determined the 13-year-old had allegedly stolen the weapon. Both juveniles later admitted to their respective roles in the crime, according to police. It was also determined the firearm was not brought into any school building and no threats were made to the school, other students or the community. The juveniles were released on a citation to appear in Rutland District Family Court. Because of their ages, no names will be released.

7:15 p.m. — Fair Haven police responded to a single car crash on Main Street. Upon interviewing the driver, police detected the operator of the vehicle, 36-year-old Samantha Galvin of Fair Haven, allegedly appeared to be under the influence of alcohol. According to the report, Galvin failed a field sobriety test and later refused to provide a breath sample. She was charged with DUI refusal and released to appear in Rutland Superior Court at a later date.

Oct. 9

The Fair Haven Police Department joined many other area law enforcement agencies in a joint training exercise conducted at the Fair Haven Union High School. The training centered around various critical incidents.

Also involved that day were the Rutland County Sheriff’s Office, the Ludlow Police Department, Rutland Town Police, Pittsford Police and Whitehall Police, along with constables from Poultney, Pawlet, Rutland and Fair Haven.

With limited resources police describe these training exercises as crucial. They also wish to thank FHUHS for the use of their facilities.

12:15 p.m. – Fair Haven Police, Fire and EMS responded to a call of a subject pinned by a tree. Upon arrival first responders found the victim on a ladder about 30 feet in the air. Officers say when attempting to cut a large limb, it bounced back, pinning the unidentified subject.

Doane Tree Service was performing work in the area and responded with their bucket truck, which they used to free the victim and return them safely to the ground. The subject was transported to a local hospital for evaluation. Fair Haven first responders were assisted by the Poultney and Castleton fire departments. Police also wish to thank Doane Tree Service for their assistance.

Oct. 13

2:40 p.m. – Police arrested 50-year-old Edward Mullin of Castleton after stopping him for a no inspection motor vehicle violation on West Street. Upon investigation police learned Mullin was allegedly under criminal suspension to operate a motor vehicle. He was arrested and released on a citation to appear in Rutland Superior Court at a later date.