Police Beat, Oct. 8, 2023

Editor’s note: A charge is not a conviction. All persons listed are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Charges can be amended or dismissed.

Granville Police

Sept.  21

8:25 a.m. – A person reported he believed he had heard a gunshot in the Columbus Street area several nights earlier but could not be sure. Wanted to inform authorities in case it happened again.

8:30 a.m. – A Potter Street resident reported two cars were partially parked on her lawn obstructing her lawn care service from properly mowing her yard. The owners were contacted and informed the police they had parked there while work was being done on their driveway, but agreed to and did move the vehicles.

10:10 p.m. – A anonymous caller reported a generator being used in the Pacific Street area that was noisy and requested an area check. Police contacted the owner, who said he was leaving for the night and shut the generator down.

11:59 p.m. – A caller from the Munson Drive area informed police there were several vehicles at an area dinner that planned to race along Quaker Street. Police responded to the area, found no vehicles around the dinner nor any racing activity along the street.

Sept. 22

11:28 a.m. – Police were called to a Park Street residence for an unwanted person. After the police arrived the individual left without further incident.

3:08 p.m. – An officer was called to a Madison Street residence to assist EMS with an individual.

4 p.m. – Police were called to a Quaker Street location for a boyfriend, who planned to follow his girlfriend to her home. She did not want him to because her husband was there. The officer followed her home and assured there was no incident.

4:30 p.m. – An officer was called to a Main Street residence for a landlord-tenant dispute over a pet. The issued was resolved with no further police action needed

5:33 p.m. – Police were asked to perform a civil standby while a female individual removed her property. The standby was conducted without incident.

Sept. 23

12:20 p.m. – A Factory Street resident asked for a civil standby while she removed her belongings. The standby was conducted without incident.

Sept. 25

3 p.m. – A mother called police to report her daughter felt she was being followed by a male on Church Street. The girl sprinted away and said she notice the male was behind her in the area of North Street. Police thoroughly checked the area but were not able to locate him.

5:05 p.m. – Police received a call for a disturbance at a South Street residence. On arrival, the officer could hear screaming inside. The officer entered the residence and spoke with an individual who had allegedly threatened suicide earlier in the day and stated he could not control his anger because he recently stopped smoking pot because he was on probation. The individual was calmed down by police and transported to Glens Falls hospital with no further problems..

11:50 p.m. – A person came to the police station and stated he was considering harming himself and requested transport to Glens Falls Hospital. EMS was called and the individual was transported without incident.

Sept. 26

7:45 p.m. – Police were called to Park Avenue parking lot for a suspicious vehicle that had also been left there the night before. The officer ran the registration and attempted to contact the owner with no success. The caller advised she did not want the vehicle towed at this time.

Whitehall Police

Sept. 22

10:14 p.m. Police received a call from a Broadway resident complaining that he was being harassed by two other people. One of those accused of harassment denied doing anything to the complainant and told police there were bad feelings between them stemming from an altercation at the Whitehall Recreation Center earlier in the week. The accused woman said the complainant had threatened her son and the boy’s father. The woman was advised to tell the other accused to stop texting harassing messages to the complainant. She told police she would seek an order of protection against the complainant, who she said was harassing her at her workplace.

Sept. 23

9:45 a.m. Officers were called to a Main Street apartment building after the owner of the property said she had discovered two people inside what was supposed to be a vacant apartment. The landlord said the two people inside had fled before police arrived. She said the two could not have been in the apartment long as she and her husband were renovating the unit. Police later received a second report of trespassing at the same location but the people inside fled out the back door while the officer was approaching from the front. Police did find a damaged cell phone at the scene but could not determine who it belonged to.

9:53 p.m. While on patrol, police observed flashlights under the Saunders Street bridge. Officers contacted the people under the bridge, who turned out to be children who had been fishing and were using the lights to make sure they had collected all their equipment.

10:36 p.m. A South Williams Street resident was charged with criminal mischief for allegedly damaging the cellphone of his girlfriend’s mother. Phillip Ricketts, 23, was charged with fourth-degree criminal mischief, a misdemeanor, after he acknowledged he had smashed the phone, which the woman had lent to her daughter. The woman said she pressed charges because it was the second time Ricketts had destroyed a phone she owned. Ricketts was issued an appearance ticket returnable Oct. 11 in village court.

Sept. 24

11 a.m. Police responded to North Williams Street in response to a report of a raccoon in the road acting strangely. The animal was gone when officers arrived.

Sept. 25

12:14 a.m. Village police were asked to assist Washington County sheriff’s deputies who were investigating a motor vehicle crash on County Route 12 in which the involved vehicle left the scene. Police located a vehicle believed to be involved on Upper Turnpike Road, but the occupants said they did not know who was driving the vehicle in the crash. One of the occupants subsequently admitted the vehicle was hers and identified the driver at the time of the crash. The man identified as the driver was located later and acknowledged he had crashed the vehicle.

10:01 p.m. Police responded to a report of a disturbance involving a knife at a Broadway apartment building. The caller told officers she had heard two men arguing behind the residence and one of them said he had a knife. One of those involved told police another man had kicked his car and knocked on the passenger-side window with a knife. The man said he did not want to press charges but asked officers to advise the man with the knife to leave him alone or face arrest.

Sept. 26

4:04 a.m. Village police assisted State Police with an attempted traffic stop. The incident began on Williams Street and continued onto County Route 12, when the driver refused to stop. He did stop near Greenmount Cemetery Lane but fled from the vehicle into a nearby swamp. He was captured in the swamp without further incident and placed in a village police car. A search of the driver’s car revealed a bag containing crystal methamphetamine. The driver, Charles W. Wilke, 60, of Lafayette Street, Whitehall, was taken to the Granville trooper barracks, where he was processed on charges of tampering with physical evidence, a felony, and nine additional misdemeanors, including resisting arrest and seventh-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance. While Wilke was being processed, police checked the rear seat of the village police vehicle that had transported him to Granville and discovered a clear glass pipe, which was turned over to troopers.

Sept. 27

2:45 p.m. Police were called to a laundromat on Main Street in response to a report of clothing being stolen. Video from the laundromat led police to a suspect, but a female acquaintance of his told officers he had accidentally taken the clothes while picking up her laundry. She turned the clothing over to police and the woman who reported the theft picked it up at the station. Some of the clothes given to police did not belong to the complainant. Officers located one other owner and turned some of the clothing over to her. That woman said she was still missing four loads of laundry taken from the laundromat, and police said they had another load that remains unclaimed. No arrests were made in the incident.

Sept. 28

12:44 a.m. Nicholas R. Oliver, 28, of Elizabeth Street, Whitehall, was arrested by village police on a warrant issued by the Washington County Sheriff’s Office after he was seen walking on Poultney Street. He was turned over to sheriff’s deputies.