Whitehall police beat

Sept. 1

10:30 a.m. The caretaker of the Skenesborough Drive Park told police he had found three needles on the ground in the park. Officers secured the needles in a sharps box.

4:40 p.m. Police received a complaint from a Broadway resident that when she went to drop off her daughter with the child’s father, he got agitated and began yelling he had to work in the morning and did not want her. The mother attempted to record his reaction on her cellphone, but he knocked it out of her hand. The woman was not hurt and the phone was not damaged, so she simply wanted the incident documented. The child did not see her parents’ interaction.

5 p.m. Police were called to a vacant house on Queen Street by a neighbor who reported unknown people were at the building. Upon further investigation, officers determined the people were the new owner of the house and a crew he had hired to help clean it out.

7:20 p.m. Officers responded to a Fern Street residence in response to a 911 hangup call. A person there said he had accidentally called the emergency number and was wondering why a Hudson Falls number was trying to call him. Police advised him that in the event of a 911 call, Washington County dispatch will try to call back and will dispatch police.

10:02 p.m. Police received a telephone call claiming a female was screaming for help in the area of Queen Street. Village officers and New York State Police troopers canvassed the area and found nothing.

Sept. 2

7:16 p.m. Officers responded to a report of a suspicious male in the pavilion in the park on Skenesborough Drive. Responding officers spoke to the man, who claimed he was playing a game, but the device had no power. Police subsequently discovered the man, Nicholas R. Oliver, 28, of Elizabeth Street, was wanted on a warrant out of Washington County Court. Oliver was taken into custody and turned over to the sheriff’s deputies.

Sept. 3

8 a.m. Wesley J. Gordon, 24, of Montcalm Street, had been arrested by Glens Falls Police, who discovered he was also wanted by Whitehall Village Police. When village officers arrived to take him into custody, Gordon was uncooperative and had to be carried to the patrol car. He was taken to Washington County’s central arraignment court, where he was placed in a restraint chair. Gordon was arraigned and held in lieu of $1,000 cash bail.

10:40 a.m. Police were dispatched to an abandoned building on Lower Bellamy Street, where a neighbor had reported locks securing the building had been cut. Officers found the building unsecured but there did not appear to be anything of value inside. Police attempted to contact the listed owner but were unable to do so.

3:32 p.m. Officers patrolled to Lower Bellamy Street in response to a report of a disturbance. The resident of the location said an unwanted guest was refusing to leave; the guest said the resident had taken an iPad he brought with him and was refusing to return it. The device was returned and the guest left without further incident.

Sept. 5

1:33 a.m. Police were dispatched to South Williams Street in response to a complaint of an open burn. Officers spoke to the man tending the fire and informed him burn barrels were not allowed in the village and that in any case, the burning of plastic was prohibited. The man said he would put out the fire and get rid of the barrel.