Police Beat, Sept. 5, 2023

Editors Note: An arrest or charge is not a conviction. All persons listed are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Charges can be amended or dismissed. 

Granville Police

Aug. 22

8:49 p.m. Police were called to South Street for a report of a dog attack. Upon arrival the victim stated a pit bull came running toward her and her dog. She stated she picked up her pet for protection, but a chain attached to the attacking animal tripped her, causing her to fall to the pavement and injure her back and hip. She was transported to the Rutland Regional Medical Center for treatment.

The owner of the animal came to the scene and showed where the pit pull had broken the restraining chain. He admitted the dog was not registered or up to date on shots. No charges were filed and the case was turned over to the Animal Control Officer for follow-up.

Aug. 23

2:20 p.m. Police arrested 40-year-old Ryan Norton of Lawrence Steet on a warrant charging him with aggravated family offense and criminal contempt. He was processed at the Granville Police Station and transferred to the Washington County Correctional Facility pending arraignment.

Aug. 24

6:45 a.m. While transporting a youth to his residence, the officer was flagged down on Route 22 by two individuals with a disabled vehicle. The officer called for a tow, finished his transport and returned to the vehicle location until assistance arrived.

9:16 a.m. A resident came to the station to advise she had lost a gold band with diamonds the previous day and would like to be notified if someone were to turn it in.

10:55 a.m. Officers were called to investigate a 911 hang-up call and determined it was accidental.

5:30 p.m. A person called dispatch to report a suspicious person in a garage on property on South Street the he was looking out for. The person left before the officers arrived but was located a short distance away. The subject said he was homeless and admitted to staying in the garage for a short time for shelter. He was advised to refrain from doing so again. Social Services was contacted on the man’s behalf.

Aug. 25

6:30 a.m. There was a report of a youth lying on the ground near the Pember Museum with unknown life status. Turned out the youth was simply asleep. No wants or warrants reported on the individual, who was returned to his parent’s residence.

1:30 p.m. An officer was called to Broadview Terrace to assist state police with an unauthorized use complaint.

4:10 p.m. A patrolling officer was flagged down by a woman who was aware of a juvenile female undergoing a mental-health crisis. Police contacted the juvenile, who admitted she was thinking of jumping off the Church Street bridge. Her mother was contacted and the girl was taken to Glens Falls Hospital.

6:15 p.m. An officer responded to a West Street location for a report of a neighbor shooting a BB gun at residences. Police interviewed the suspect, who showed the officer he was just shooting a CO2 cartridge and there was no ammunition in the weapon. Nothing further reported.

7:30 p.m. Police were called to a North Street location to assist the fire department. No issues.

8:30 p.m. Police returned to the North Street fire location to assist with an electrical issue in the area. Some residents reported half power and streetlights were blinking. Issue turned over to NYSEG.

Aug. 26

5:30 p.m. Police were called to a Main Street location for a trespass complaint. The location was checked with negative contact. Complainant advised she would call again if the subjects returned.

Whitehall Police 

Aug. 19

1:14 p.m. Police responded to a report of a woman struck by a train behind the homes on Elizabeth Street. On arrival, officers observed the victim walking on the sidewalk. The victim complained of an injured back but officers saw no evidence of injury, merely a scrape on her ankle. The victim told police she had been walking on the tracks when the train came up behind her. The engineer was able to stop the train but not before it bumped the victim. Officers observed a set of headphones hanging from the engine and other evidence that the victim had been struck. She was transported by the Skenesborough Emergency Squad to a landing area in Fort Ann, where she was picked up by a helicopter that took her to Albany Medical Center Hospital. The accident was investigated by the Amtrak Police Department, which was waiting to view video of the incident and to speak with the victim, who remained hospitalized as of Aug. 22.

Aug. 20

2:18 p.m. Police were dispatched to a Broadway residence in response to a reported propane leak. The Whitehall Volunteer Fire Company was also called to the scene and determined the tank had been overfilled. Firefighters advised the homeowner to soak a towel in water and place it over the tank’s nozzle.

Aug. 23

A 14-year-old Whitehall youth went to the police station and told police he had been buzzed by a drone near the Whitehall Free Library and was nervous. Police observed a drone above the police station about 100 feet in the air but could not determine the operator. They gave the youth a ride to his home.

Aug. 24

12 p.m.  A Lamb Street resident told police she was being harassed by neighbors who were leaving upsetting messages in sidewalk chalk on the road. The responding officer saw nothing harassing in the messages.

6:45 p.m. Police were dispatched to the Stewart’s Shop on Poultney Street after receiving a report of a vehicle leaking a liquid on the ground near the gas pumps. Officers notified store employees of the liquid and were told they would take care of it.

Aug. 26

10:17 a.m. While returning to Whitehall after transporting an individual to the Washington County Jail, village patrolman Bryan Greco was flagged down just north of Green Barn Road in the town of Kingsbury for a motorcycle accident. The person who flagged Greco down directed him to a roadside ditch, where he found a man who did not exhibit a pulse. Greco attempted to perform CPR until units from the Kingsbury Fire Department, Fort Edward EMS and Washington County sheriff’s deputies arrived on the scene.

1:45 p.m. An officer was called to Saunders Street by a person requesting help to rescue a bird that had something caught round its leg. The officer was able to remove the string around the baby bird’s leg and was “lucky enough to be bitten only once,” according to the police report.

Aug. 28

4:45 p.m. Eugene E. Bessette, 30, of Broadway, was charged by Whitehall police with second-degree criminal trespass and petty larceny, both misdemeanors, after police received a report that a Playstation unit had been taken from a Maple Street apartment while the tenant was out. The tenant reported he had previous problems with Bessette and believed he had taken the game unit and a bag of marijuana, with a total value of about $630. A witness told police he had seen Bessette leaving the area around the suspected time of the burglary. The tenant subsequently told police he found a wallet containing Bessette’s Social Security card while checking the apartment to see if anything else was missing. The wallet had been out of sight during the original visit by officers. Bessette turned himself in to police the next day and was released on an appearance ticket.

Aug. 30

9 a.m.  A contractor who had been renovating a house on Kirtland Street told police he had been locked out of the house where he had been working with all his tools still inside. Other workers also had tools locked in the house, the contractor said. A woman who is buying the house said the tools were in the garage and she would like the workers to retrieve them. Police stood by while the tools were retrieved. The contractor also had questions about not being paid for the work he had done and was referred to Washington County Court for a civil proceeding, as the amount of money involved exceeded what could be handled by village court.

New York State Police

Aug. 13

9:15 p.m. Troopers responded to a home on state Route 149 in Kingsbury for a report of a disturbance. The subsequent investigation determined 37-year-old Stacy Blackburn of Fort Ann allegedly got into an altercation with the caller and left before troopers arrived. While the victim was being interviewed, Blackburn returned to the location, driving a vehicle. Blackburn was arrested for driving while intoxicated and other V&T violations. She was processed at the Granville substation where she recorded a blood alcohol level of 0.21%, according to police.

Blackburn was issued several uniform traffic tickets and released pending a further court date.

Rutland County Sheriff’s Office

Aug. 24

10:12 p.m.

Deputies were called to a Blissville Road residence in Poultney for a report of a male breaking windows. The deputies soon located 32-year-old Daryn Lowell of Fair Haven and took him into custody without incident. During the investigation deputies learned Lowell allegedly gained entrance into the home and struck a resident with a baseball bat.

Lowell was charged with simple assault, unlawful trespass into an occupied dwelling and unlawful mischief. He was processed and transported to the Marble Valley Correctional Facility for lack of bail.

Aug. 27

The Sheriff’s Office is investigating a string of vehicle related break-ins on Olympus Road, Park Street, Grove Street and Pine Street in Proctor. The incidents occurred between Aug. 27 and Aug. 30

Deputies are requesting anyone with security cameras on the above listed streets please review their footage between the hours of 9 p.m. and 3 a.m. Anyone with any information is asked to the Sheriff’s Office at 802-775-8002

Fair Haven Police Beat

Aug. 28

Fair Haven Police arrested 43-year-old Garret Given of Fair Haven following an investigation into a reported theft. Police were contacted about missing catalytic converters from a vehicle on Prospect Street.

Through their investigation, police allege Given had agreed to repair a vehicle for $1,200 but never did so. When the vehicle’s owner came to take the vehicle back, he discovered the catalytic convertors had been removed. Police later determined they were sold. The estimated value is $1,150

Given was processed and issued a citation to appear in Rutland Superior Court – Criminal Division at a later date. He was remanded to the Northwest State Correctional Facility to await extradition to New York on another charge.

Fair Haven police arrested 33-year-old Robert Valley of Whitehall on the same day, following an investigation into a larceny at the Maplefield’s store on Washington  Street. It is alleged Valley  removed a large pot from the store.

He was located in the parking lot and brought to the station for questioning. While there officers found him to be in possession of methamphetamine. During the investigation Valley admitted to the incident at Maplefield’s.

Valley was issued a citation to appear in Rutland Superior Court-Criminal Division at a later date.