Police Beat, Aug. 17, 2023

Editor’s note: An arrest or a charge is not a conviction. All persons listed are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Charges can be amended or dismissed.

Granville Police

Aug. 5

11:07 a.m. Police responded to Quaker Street residence to assist with a lock-out.

3:20 p.m. Police were dispatched to a Madison Street location for a report of a verbally disruptive patient, who wanted to visit a female resident in her room. The man was explained the rules and returned to his room without further incident.

Aug. 6

4:50 p.m. An officer responded to a Quaker Street residence to help a woman with entry into her apartment.
10:20 p.m. Police were called to South Street for a report of a fire. The officer determined the fire was in the rear of the building but already extinguished by the homeowner.

Aug. 7

8:15 p.m. While on patrol on Main Street, an officer observed a vehicle traveling too closely behind his and also with his high beams on. The vehicle, driven by 22-year-old Justin Lourie of Wells, VT, was stopped on Quaker Street. A subsequent investigation revealed Lourie was also driving without a license. He was issued two uniform traffic tickets, one for operating a vehicle without a license and a second for following too closely. Lourie was released and ordered to appear in Granville Village Court at a later date. A licensed driver came to the scene and took possession of the vehicle.

Aug. 8

8:30 p.m. Police responded to a Bulkley Avenue location to assist NYS Police with a custody dispute originating in Queensbury. The child was turned over to his father without further incident.

Aug. 9

9:27 p.m. A resident at a Madison Street location called police to complain he was being mistreated by staff, who would not give him the TV/bed control. Staff explained because of a medical condition he needed to be kept sitting up. When given the controller, he kept readjusting the bed. The complainant agreed not to adjust the bed any further and was returned the controller.

Aug. 10

10:30 a.m.

A domestic incident was reported at a Lincoln Street residence. A man and a women told the responding officer each had become physically violent toward each other. Isabel Winchell, 21, left the residence with three children, who police say witnessed the event. Winchell was determined to be the primary aggressor and was charged with second-degree harassment/physical contact and ordered to appear in court at a later date. Child Protective Services was notified.

Whitehall Police

Aug. 11

4:10 a.m. Patrols were dispatched to Bellamy Street for a possible domestic dispute. Upon arrival, officers spoke to a female resident of the address where the incident reportedly took place. She told them an acquaintance had kicked in her bedroom door while she was sleeping. Police observed that the door frame was broken and that a large piece of the frame was lying on the floor. Police checked the area for the suspect but were unable to locate him.

Aug. 13

12:41 a.m. Police received a complaint from a North Williams Street resident about a woman at his apartment he did not want there. The woman told police the complainant had punched her in the eye; the complainant said she hit her head falling off the toilet. Officers gave the woman a courtesy ride to the Whitehall Public Library because she could not return to her home in Hudson Falls. She declined to give a formal statement and did not want anything done.

2:55 a.m. Officers were dispatched to Boardman Street in response to a report of a fight in progress. They were met by two people on the front porch of the residence, who told them they were not needed. However, police heard voices in the back yard and spoke to two men who were there. One of the men admitted to striking a third man in the face after that man pushed and struck him. Officers went into the house to check on the third man and found him lying on a breezeway floor with lacerations on his face, drifting in and out of consciousness. Police called EMS to check the man out, but he became belligerent and was placed in handcuffs so he could be placed in the ambulance. He was taken to Glens Falls Hospital.

Aug. 15

10:30 a.m. Police were notified about three dogs running loose on Adams Street. Officers were able to capture two of the dogs and return them to their home. The third dog evaded capture and was last seen in the area of First Street. That dog was also believed to live in the same house as the other two.

12:00 p.m. A Queen Street resident called police because he had found a glove on the sidewalk in front of his residence. He told officers he believed the glove was evidence of people trying to commit crimes against him. Police found no evidence of an attempted crime at the location.

Aug. 16

5:45 p.m. Police received a call about a loose dog on Main Street. The responding officer believed he knew the dog’s owner and contacted her. She said the animal belonged to another man, who was contacted and reunited with his pet. No further action was taken.

9 p.m. Officers were called by a McCotter Street resident who told them her house had been broken into earlier in the day. Police went to the residence and took photos of the damage. The investigation is continuing.