Police Beat, July 20, 2023

Editor’s note: An arrest or a charge is not a conviction. All persons listed are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Charges can be amended or dismissed.

Granville Police Department

July 7

3 p.m. A complainant came to the station to advise that the father of a child had not made the court appointment drop-off. The complainant was told the police department did not get involved in family court issues, but that a report would be made. The issue stemmed from the child’s attendance in summer school.

July 8

9:45 a.m. Police responded to assist EMS with a 51-year-old man who was apparently having a stroke and was combative. The patient calmed down and police assisted with removing him from the residence. The patient was transported to Glens Falls Hospital.

7:20 p.m. Police responded to a Potter Avenue location for a report of a woman walking through the backyard. The owner requested that if the person could be located, she be advised not to cut through the property. After an investigation the subject was located, who said she did not know the house was occupied and would not do so again in the future.

July 9

12:51 a.m. Granville Police responded to Amy’s Country Store in Wells, Vermont, to assist the Rutland County Sheriff’s Office in an investigation and building search following a forced entry through the front door.

5:15 p.m. Police were called to Tractor Supply on Quaker Street for a larceny of propane. The store employee informed law enforcement that a person who was known to them had paid for items purchased in the store but not an outside propane refill. Advised complainant it sounded like a mistake, and contacted the customer, who confirmed it was an oversight and would return to the store to make payment.

6 p.m. Police were dispatched to a Lincoln Street location for a report of two men fighting. A patrol of the area turned up one of the individuals who showed some signs of combat but stated he did not need medical attention. He claimed he fought back in self-defense. Returning to the scene the officer located the other combatant, who also showed some superficial wounds but refused medical assistance. He indicated the fight was over his sister, who was the other participant’s girlfriend. He did not wish to press any charges and the matter was closed.

9:30 a.m. An officer responded to a bottle redemption business where the owner complained about tenants who lived upstairs using his parking lot. Police spoke to the tenants who complied with removing their vehicles.

July 12

6:30 p.m. Police were dispatched to a River Valley Drive home for a report of a resident of that home threatening to kill everyone inside and burn the place down. That subject was located at a bowling alley and said he was upset he was denied more money by his family. It was determined that subject was suffering from a mental health condition and was transported to Glens Falls Hospital for evaluation.

Whitehall Police Department

July 7

4:15 p.m. Police were dispatched to North Williams Street in response to a report that a flooded roadway was sending water onto a porch. The water had receded by the time officers arrived, but mud and water marks were visible on the porch. Police said it appeared the heavy rain had overwhelmed the storm sewers and cleared debris from a drain on the road in front of the house where the flooding occurred. Officers also spoke to village Public Works Department working foreman Steven Brock, who said he would send a DPW worker to assess the situation.

8:10 p.m. Officers were dispatched to State Route 22 just south of the South Bay bridge in response to a report of an osprey nest on fire. On arrival, police saw no fire or smoke and a call to the Whitehall Volunteer Fire Department was canceled.

July 8

12:50 a.m. Police were sent to Boardman Street to investigate a 911 hangup. Officers spoke to a woman at the house where call originated, who told them her son’s phone had been “having issues” and had dialed the emergency number by accident.

July 10

6 p.m. Officers were again dispatched to State Route 22 just south of the South Bay bridge, this time for a reported transformer fire. When they arrived, police found an osprey nest on top of a utility pole on fire. The matter was turned over to the Whitehall Volunteer Fire Department.

July 11

1:56 p.m. Police were called to a Bellamy Street residence for a reported large fire in the back yard. Officers found a large burn and told the resident that it needed to be extinguished. He did so using a garden hose.

2:32 p.m. Patrols were requested to deal with a property line dispute between adjoining residences on Potter Street. One of the women involved asked officers tell her neighbor to stay off her side of the property and to not step on her flower beds. Police told the two women to work out the dispute with their landlord.

July 12

12:01 p.m. Police were called back to Potter Street for another dispute between neighbors. The responding officer told them the disagreement was a civil matter that did not require police intervention and again told them to speak with their landlord.

9:53 p.m. Officers received a nonemergency call complaining about people yelling on South Williams Street. The area was quiet when police arrived, but while they were there a woman drove by and yelled at a man fixing a car there. A woman who owned the car responded by yelling back and chasing the other down the street. Police later spoke to the other woman, who denied anything had happened.

Washington County Sheriff’s Office

July 12

11:54 p.m. Sheriff’s deputies responded to a single-car rollover on Broadway (Route 4) near the Fort Edward school. Upon arrival, deputies found a 2018 Jeep on top of a guardrail and into a utility pole on the north side of the roadway with low-hanging power lines. Both the vehicle and the pole sustained significant damage.

The driver was identified as 26-year-old Matthew Lozada of Fort Edward. He was transported to Glens Falls Hospital with minor injuries. Broadway was closed while the wreckage was cleared and the pole replaced.

Investigation into the accident is continuing and deputies say charges are possible.

July 14

8:54 a.m. Deputies responded to a serious one-car accident on County Route 153 just east of Beattie Road in the Town of Salem. Upon arrival deputies located a 2008 Subaru that had crashed into a tree with two teenagers trapped inside. Once extricated, 18-year-old Patrick Stone of Salem was airlifted to Albany Medical Center suffering from critical injuries to his head, chest and lower body. Zachariah Miller, 19, of Shushan was also critically injured and transported to Glens Falls Hospital.

A portion of the roadway was closed for several hours while deputies with the assistance of the Saratoga County Sheriff’s Office accident reconstruction team investigated the mishap. This investigation is ongoing and deputies ask anyone who might have any information to please contact their office.

New York State Police

July 9

2 a.m. Amanda M. Sawka, 44, of Whitehall was charged in Saratoga Springs with two counts of criminal possession of a controlled substance in the seventh degree, a class A misdemeanor. At the same time, Michael J. Poissonnier, 38, of Whitehall was charged with two counts of criminal possession of a controlled substance in the seventh degree, a class A misdemeanor, and one count of driving while ability impaired by drugs with a prior conviction within the last 10 years, a class E felony. Both were issued appearance tickets.

July 10

4:47 p.m. A 15-year-old from Granville was arrested for criminal possession of stolen property in the fourth degree, specifically a motor vehicle, a class E felony, in connection with an incident reported on July 5. The juvenile was issued an appearance ticket.

July 11

8:32 p.m. Adrianne L. Barody, 43, of Fort Edward, was charged in Moreau with obstruction of governmental administration in the second degree and resisting arrest, both class A misdemeanors, as well as operating a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08% and DWI, both first offenses and class U misdemeanors. She was issued an appearance ticket.

10:20 p.m. Joshua K. Bishop, 33, of Shaftsbury, Vermont, was charged in White Creek with operating a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08% with a prior conviction and DWI with a previous conviction within the last 10 years, both class E felonies, as well as circumventing an interlock device, a class A misdemeanor. He was issued an appearance ticket.

July 15

11:27 a.m. A 15-year-old from Greenwich was charged with arson in the second degree with another uninvolved person present, a class B felony. The juvenile was issued an appearance ticket.

5:07 p.m. Kyle Murphy, 50, from Bennington, Vermont, was charged in White Creek with DWI, first offense, a class U misdemeanor. He was issued an appearance ticket.

Fair Haven Police Department

July 12

Police responded to a Pine Street location for a report of a domestic assault involving a knife. Upon investigation police determined that 29-year-old Michael Noe of Fair Haven was involved in an altercation with a family member, allegedly threatening them with the weapon. He was arrested on the charge of aggravated domestic assault in the first degree and transported to Rutland District Court to answer the charge. The disposition of the case was not released.

Assisting the Fair Haven department were the Castleton Police and Vermont State Police.

July 14

Police stopped 29-year-old Joseph Richardson of Fair Haven for a traffic violation and determined he was driving with a criminally suspended license. Upon investigation it was also determined there was an outstanding arrest warrant for failure to appear in court on March 28 on a prior charge of possession of narcotics, domestic assault, possession of cocaine and five violations of probation. Richardson was lodged at the Marble Valley Correctional Facility on $5,000 bail.

Rutland County Sheriff’s Office

The Rutland County Sheriff’s Office wishes to extend its deepest condolences and prayers to the family of Rutland City Police Officer Jessica Ebbighausen and the Rutland Police Department. Officer Ebbighausen died in a crash involving her patrol car during a high-speed chase on Route 4 in the city on Friday, July 8. The Sheriff’s Office has pledged any assistance and support that is needed.

Vermont State Police

July 4

5:42 p.m. Vermont State Police responded to a reported assault on Lester Lane in the Town of Rutland. While investigating the incident, Shawn Stevens, 60 of Rutland Town, displayed multiple signs of impairment and was screened for driving under the influence. Stevens was subsequently taken into custody for suspicion of driving under the influence and transported to the Rutland barracks where he was processed. Stevens was released with a citation to appear in Rutland County Superior Court. The investigation into the assault was still ongoing.

July 11

8:41 p.m. Vermont State Police were notified of a two-vehicle crash on U.S. Route 7 near Seward Road in the Town of Rutland. Through investigation it was determined Landon Lathrop, 17, of Rutland City was stopped at the intersection of Route 7 and Seward Road facing south. Bret Kinney, 65, of North Clarendon was traveling by motorcycle northbound on Route 7 near the intersection with Seward Road when Lathrop attempted to turn left onto Seward Road, striking Kinney. Lathrop suffered no injuries, and his truck sustained damage to the front bumper and grill. Kinney was taken to Rutland Regional Medical Center with serious injuries, namely two broken legs. His motorcycle sustained damage to its front end.

July 12

7:04 p.m. Vermont State Police conducted a conditions-of-release check on Jay McHugh, 43, in Benson. Through investigation it was determined McHugh was in violation of his conditions of release. McHugh was placed in custody and transported to the Rutland Barracks. A judicial official was contacted and ordered McHugh be lodged at Marble Valley Regional Correctional Facility on $200 bail.

July 16

12:25 p.m. Vermont State Police were called to Mama T’s Country Kitchen in the Town of Rutland for a report of a male inside the store threatening staff with a firearm. Investigation revealed that Kenneth Dupuy, 31 of Rutland, had been refused a cigar wrap purchase by the store clerk and began threatening staff and a customer with a firearm. Dupuy was located on Nickwackett Street in Rutland City several minutes later. He was placed under arrest for two counts of aggravated assault and transported to the Rutland Barracks for processing. At the conclusion of processing Dupuy was transported to Marble Valley Regional Correctional Facility where he was held without bail.

Gun shop broken into but no weapons taken

By Doug La Rocque

A brazen break-in at an Easton gun shop appears to have left the perpetrators empty handed as far as any guns are concerned.

State Police said the occupants of a white 2019 Kia Sportage appear to have used the vehicle to smash in the front door of Beecroft’s Shooters Supply on State Route 40 early Sunday morning, July 16. Multiple individuals then entered the business, fleeing in the car a short time later.

The investigation determined the vehicle was stolen from the City of Schenectady prior to the crime. Troopers say it sustained significant rear-end damage. A State Police update on July 18 indicates the vehicle has been located, but not the occupants.

Despite having gained access to the store, the owner and staff say no weapons appear to be missing although some various other merchandise was stolen.

The investigation is ongoing and anyone with information about the crime is asked to contact the State Police in Greenwich at 518-457-6811 or email [email protected].

Clemons man faces longer jail term

A Clemons man is facing a longer sentence than he had originally been expected to get after he failed to show up for his sentencing and was arrested on a Washington County Court warrant.

Whitehall village police received an anonymous tip on July 12 that 39-year-old Nigel A. Reeks of LeClair Road, who was wanted for skipping his sentencing in County Court, was at the South Bay boat launch. He was taken into custody without incident and transported to the Washington County Jail.

Reeks had pleaded guilty to charges of first-degree criminal contempt and an aggravated family offense, both felonies, stemming from a domestic dispute that involved his violation of an order of protection. He had originally been scheduled to be sentenced to six months in jail and five years’ probation, but by missing his court date, he is now facing a sentence of five years in state prison.

Reeks has a prior conviction on domestic violence charges within the past five years, which added to the severity of his sentence, police said.

Hampton man faces multiple counts

By Doug La Rocque

State Police have arrested a 36-year-old Hampton man for unlawful imprisonment in the first degree, criminal mischief in the third degree, two counts of menacing in the second degree and two counts of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree.

The arrest of Ernie Dalaba occurred after troopers received a call about a domestic dispute on Thursday, July 13. The investigation determined that Dalaba and the victim were in a physical altercation, after which Dalaba allegedly brandished a knife and multiple firearms, holding the victim against their will and damaging property. The victim was able, after a short period, to flee to safety, uninjured.

Dalaba was later arrested at his home, transported to the Granville substation for processing and interned at the Washington County Correctional Facility pending further court action.