Police Beat, March 16, 2023

Support Local Journalism - Save Democracy

Editor’s note: An arrest or a charge is not a conviction. All persons listed are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Charges can be amended or dismissed.

Granville Police Department

March 3

7:48 a.m. While handling a V&T complaint, the person who had been stopped noted the passenger side window of his vehicle appeared to have been recently broken. After further discussion, he told police that while he was driving possibly on Mettowee Street, a person standing near the road threw a baseball bat through his window. He then noted that he had been driving in a reckless manner because the person who threw the bat had “pissed him off.” Police advised the man to obtain an estimate for the damage and file charges for the damage. When asked what issues he had with the person who threw the bat, he stated the two had issues over a woman months prior.

12:46 p.m. A person called police to report that a woman left the parking lot of the Pine Grove Diner where he was sitting, struck his vehicle then continued south on to Quaker Street. The caller said his car had sustained no damage. Police located the woman’s car in the Tractor Supply parking and spoke with her. She stated she had backed out of the diner parking lot and struck the car, but noted no damage. She was told that if damage was discovered on the other vehicle, she would be contacted.

March 4

11 a.m. Police were notified that snow had knocked over a metal chimney pipe at a residence on South Street, and it appeared that the structure could be in danger. Upon arrival, police spoke with the assistant fire chief who was on scene and had spoken with the homeowner or the father of the homeowner who was sending his wife to extinguish the fire. Police remained on the scene until the issue was addressed. About 10 minutes later, a call for fire personnel was made.

12:49 p.m. A liquor store owner reported to police that his store took a credit card order over the phone on Feb. 15 totaling $941.52 for four bottles of tequila and four of cognac. Twenty minutes later, a man stopped in the store and provided a Pennsylvania driver’s license for inspection and picked up the liquor. The liquor store owner had since received notice of a stop payment for the credit card order, which was reported as a potential scam. He also was advised that the Pennsylvania driver’s license was not a legitimate ID. A DMV check of the driver’s license confirmed that it was fraudulent. On March 4, the suspect called to place another $300 order and when asked for identification hung up.

March 5

5:11 p.m. Police were dispatched to a Glen Street residence for a possible overdose of medication. Dispatch reported that a woman had administered two doses of Narcan to a person. Police arrived to find the person who had overdosed was in bed and was not coherent. EMS were summoned and the person was transported to the hospital.

March 6

11:45 a.m. Police responded to Slate Valley Museum for activation of a motion detector. Police contacted the listed key holder who responded. An interior and exterior check determined all seemed secure.

March 7

5:45 p.m. Police responded to an East Main Street residence to assist a man with a windowpane that had fallen out of the window casing. Police replaced the windowpane and secured it.

March 9

12:43 p.m. A Pine Street woman called police to report that her son had brought their dog inside and discovered that someone had zip tied the dog’s mouth shut. The son said he had left the dog outside for about 30 minutes while he went to the store. The mother and son turned over the zip tie, and police observed a minor mark on the nose of the small dog. Police spoke with two neighbors who had no complaints about the dog. Police attempted to contact a third neighbor who has complained about the dog in the past, but were not able to contact them. Police will attempt contact at a later time.

3:15 p.m. Police assisted Granville EMS with a two-year-old who was having a seizure. EMS transported the young person to Glens Falls Hospital.

Whitehall Police Department

March 5

1:57 p.m. Police were called to the intersection of Broadway and First Avenue in response to a report of a three-vehicle crash. Interviews with those involved revealed a hatchback and a sport utility vehicle had been stopped in traffic when the driver of the third vehicle, a tractor-trailer, failed to observe the stopped vehicles and ran into the back of the SUV, pushing it into the hatchback. The Skenesborough Rescue Squad was called to the scene after police observed one of the SUV passengers holding her neck. The squad ultimately transported the passenger and driver of the SUV to Glens Falls Hospital for treatment. The truck driver was tested for alcohol consumption, which produced negative results. However, he was found to be at fault for the crash and was issued a traffic citation. The rig and the SUV were towed from the scene; the hatchback was driven away.

March 7

6:30 a.m. Police were called to Broadway for a taxi cab driver who claimed his fare was refusing to pay him. When police arrived, the cabbie told them he had driven his passenger from Glens Falls to Whitehall, running up a tab of $55. The passenger said he had been in Glens Falls Hospital and had forgotten his wallet there. A third party offered to pay the fare the next day after getting paid; the cab driver said he would not press charges if the fare was paid by 4 p.m. that day.

5:50 p.m. Two Williams Street residents reported finding a shotgun on top of a snowbank at the intersection of Poultney and South Williams streets. The weapon had been loaded, but one of the residents removed the ammunition. Police determined the weapon was a J. Stevens Arms Co. 12-gauge shotgun manufactured between 1912 and 1945. The weapon had been modified, with the butt stock cut off and the barrel cut down to 12-13 inches in length. Because of its age, the weapon had no serial number, so its ownership could not be traced. Neither village police nor the Washington County Sheriff’s Department had received a report of a lost weapon, so police logged in the weapon, which will ultimately be destroyed unless it is connected to an active crime investigation, as possession of a sawed-off shotgun is illegal in New York.

New York State Police

March 2

9 p.m. New York State Police were investigating an unrelated crash on County Route 74 in Cambridge when they observed a vehicle operating unsafely and violating V&T laws. The vehicle was stopped, and the driver was identified as Meaghan L. Evans, 24, of North Greenbush. Evans was arrested for driving while intoxicated and other V&T law violations. She was transported to State Police barracks in Queensbury for processing, where she recorded a 0.22% BAC. Evans was issued tickets returnable to the Cambridge Town Court at a later date and released to a sober third party.

March 6

4:40 p.m. Joshua Hall, 38, of Hudson Falls was arrested for grand larceny in the fourth degree, a class E felony, in connection with an incident that was reported on Dec. 7, 2022. He was issued an appearance ticket.

March 9

10:28 p.m. Ronnie E. Hedrick, 47, of Queensbury was arrested for criminal possession of a controlled substance in the seventh degree, and criminal use of drug paraphernalia, both class A misdemeanors. At the same time Brandy L. Barrows, 36, of Kingsbury was arrested for criminal possession of a controlled substance in the seventh degree, a class A misdemeanor, and criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree with a previous conviction, a class D felony. Hedrick was issued an appearance ticket while Barrows was being held.

10:58 a.m. Ashley N. Hunt, 28, of Fort Edward was arrested for criminal mischief, specifically intent to damage property, in connection with an incident reported on Feb. 27. They were being held.

Vermont State Police

March 13

12:26 a.m. Vermont State Police were advised of a family fight that had occurred on Business Route 4 in Rutland Town. Through investigation it was determined Aaron Goodrich, 50, of Rutland Town caused pain or bodily injury to a family or household member. Goodrich was placed into custody and transported to the Rutland barracks for processing. He was issued a citation to appear in Rutland Superior Court, Criminal Division, at a later date.

Whitehall man faces felony for striking, biting officer

By EJ Conzola II

A Whitehall man is facing three charges, including a felony, after he allegedly struck and bit a policeman attempting to take him into custody on an outstanding warrant.

Jason A. Suprenant Jr., 23, was charged March 8 with second-degree assault, a felony, and misdemeanor counts of resisting arrest and second degree obstructing governmental administration. He was arraigned on the charges in Whitehall Village Court; no additional information on his status was provided.

Police said on Dec. 28 they had been called to a Maple Street apartment in response to a verbal disagreement between the residents. Dispatch advised the responding officer that one of the residents – Suprenant – was wanted on a warrant out of Washington County. The officer allowed Suprenant to go into the apartment to get a sweatshirt, as he had come outside wearing only shorts and flip-flops. As he did so, he partially closed the front door and when the officer went to check on him, the woman resident of the apartment, 25-year-old Lauren M. Brunza, said he had run out the back door.

However, the officer heard movement behind a closed door and when he attempted to open the door, he discovered Suprenant was trying to hold it closed from the inside. The officer eventually got the door open, then allowed Suprenant to go into another room to get his sweatshirt, at which point Brunza attempted to block the officer from following.

The officer got into the bedroom, where Suprenant struggled while being taken into custody, ultimately fleeing the room after knocking the officer down. The officer caught up to Suprenant near the front door, despite the efforts of Brunza to again block him, where a second struggle ensued.

Police said Suprenant struck the officer in the head, breaking his glasses, and bit him on the left hand, breaking the skin. Suprenant was able to get away while the officer was recovering from the blow and fled out the back door of the apartment. State Police, sheriff’s deputies and Granville police officers arrived to help look for Suprenant, but the search – which involved a sheriff’s department K-9 – was unsuccessful.

The officer was taken to Glens Falls Hospital for treatment and testing to ensure no diseases were transmitted because of the bite.

On Jan. 18, warrants for both Suprenant and Brunza were issued by Whitehall Town Justice Thomas Nichols. Brunza was picked up in Hudson Falls on Feb. 10; Suprenant was taken into custody on March 8.

After Brunza was taken into custody, she attempted to evade a return to Whitehall by first telling police she was pregnant, then claiming she was having a miscarriage. Both claims were false.

However, before medical personnel refuted her claims, she was issued an appearance ticket returnable in Whitehall Village Court. She reportedly failed to show up for her scheduled appearance, telling the court she was ill.

Teen leads police on a chase

By Doug La Rocque

Another week, another police chase in Granville.

On Wednesday, March 1, just before 11 p.m., Sergeant Whitney observed a vehicle on Main Street with what appeared to be an inspection violation. Once Whitney turned around to follow the vehicle, it was also noticed it had a damaged taillight.

When the sergeant attempted to conduct a traffic stop, the driver, later identified as 18-year-old Riyder David of Norton Street in the village, attempted to elude the patrol, traveling south on Church Street, Park and Potter avenues and Granview Drive. David then stopped at the end of a cul-de-sac. When approached by Sergeant Whitney, he is reported to have driven off through several backyards, escaping across the border into Vermont. Speeds during the chase reportedly reached 70 miles per hour.

Shortly thereafter, David’s mother appeared at the Granville police station to advise officers her son was behind the wheel of the suspect’s vehicle and that her 14-year-old daughter was with him, scared and afraid throughout the chase. David turned himself into police a short time later. The sister was interviewed by officers, and it was determined she did not need medical assistance.

David was charged with acting in a manner injurious to a child under 17 and reckless driving, both misdemeanors. He was issued citations for unsafe turns and failure to signal, speed not reasonable and prudent, operating a motor vehicle without insurance, operating an unregistered vehicle, failure to stop at a stop sign and to use a designated lane, failure to obey a police officer and operating a motor vehicle with improper plates. He was issued an appearance ticket for Granville Village Court at a later date.