Police Beat, Dec. 29, 2022

Editor’s note: An arrest or a charge is not a conviction. All persons listed are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Charges can be amended or dismissed.

Granville Police Department

Dec. 16

12:15 p.m. Police were dispatched to a 911 hang-up call on Factory Street. Upon investigation it was determined a child had a made an accidental call. Incident closed with no further issue.

Dec. 19

3:40 p.m. A Middle Granville resident came into the station to report a license plate on his snowmobile trailer was missing. Claims he last saw it sometime last year. The appropriate Motor Vehicles form was completed and issued.

Dec. 20

10:38 p.m. Police were dispatched to a North Street residence for a 911 hang-up call. Upon investigation it was determined there was no issue at the location.

10:50 p.m. Police responded to a South Street residence to assist two parties involved in a disagreement. After speaking with both subjects the situation was resolved and patrol cleared the location without further incident.

Dec. 21

11:57 a.m. Police responded to a Quaker Street residence for a welfare check after repeated calls by the resident to a number advising she was attempting to call her doctor. Upon investigation, the resident advised she had mistakenly dialed the wrong number because it was very similar to her doctor’s. She advised she was well and there were no further issues at this time.

Dec. 22

8:32 a.m. A property owner advised he would be having a real estate agent on the property at a future date and wished to advise police in case they were to receive calls about the visit.

Whitehall Police Department

Dec. 16

3 p.m. Police received a report that a neighbor of the Whitehall Elks Lodge had thrown seven bags of trash into the lodge’s trash bin. The neighbor denied knowing how the bags had gotten into the bin but said she would remove them if the organization wanted her to. Lodge members said the bags could remain, but that charges would be pressed if the event was repeated in the future.

7:45 p.m. The Washington County Sheriff’s Office asked village police to patrol to the intersection of State Route 4 and Beckwith Road in response to a report of a possible personal-injury crash, as deputies were responding from Hartford and weather conditions would delay their arrival. The responding officer found no sign of a crash and the vehicle believed to be involved was in its driveway. The driver was waiting for a relative to arrive and winch the vehicle out. Sheriff’s deputies were notified.

Dec. 17

6:05 a.m. Police assisted the Whitehall Volunteer Fire Department with a wire down on Davis Street.

9:12 a.m. Police were called to Lafayette Street in response to a report of a tree down on a parked car. Responding officers found a tree partially blocking the road and contacted the fire department to have it removed. The person who reported the downed tree asked officer to document the situation if his car was found to be damaged.

10:30 a.m. Officers were asked to intervene in a dispute between neighbors over snow removal on Vaughn Street Extension. One neighbor claimed the other was blowing snow into a culvert causing the area to flood. Police determined that the complaint was unfounded.

Dec. 18

4:19 p.m. Devin B. Mahar, 43, of Lafayette Street, was arrested by village police on a bench warrant. Officers looking to serve the warrant found Mahar lying in the driver’s seat of a vehicle. While being processed at the police station, she was subsequently charged with two counts of third-degree unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, a misdemeanor, in connection with separate incidents. She was transported to the Washington County Jail for booking.

Dec. 19

11:25 a.m. Police were dispatched to Mountain Street in response to a report of wires down. Upon arrival, they spoke with the driver of a garbage truck who had snagged a low-hanging wire he did not see, pulling it down. Officers also observed a second low-hanging wire in front of the truck. The wires involved were both cable wires and the one not taken down was lifted so the truck could continue on its way. The truck was not damaged. The cable company was notified.

Dec. 20

8:40 a.m. Officers received a report of a suspicious vehicle on Williams Street with a person apparently sleeping inside. Police interviewed the person, who said he had dropped his siblings off to work in Vermont but was tired on the return trip and pulled over in Whitehall to sleep. He said the residence he had parked in front of belonged to his parents. He also said he had been sleeping for about 90 minutes and felt he could now safely drive home to Fort Ann.

6:41 p.m. A caller told police there was person driving erratically in the CVS/Dollar General parking lot on Broadway. After responding to the call, police were told the driver was traveling too fast and not following the directional arrows in the lot. The driver spoke to police and told them the complainant had begun yelling at him as soon as he pulled into the lot. A witness told officers he had not seen anything to justify the complaint.

Vermont State Police

Dec. 21

12:39 a.m. Vermont State Police were conducting speed enforcement on Vermont Route 279 West near the weigh station in the Town of Bennington. A trooper initiated a traffic stop after observing a vehicle traveling 93 mph in a posted 55-mph speed limit zone. Jamie Dunnells, 50, from Hoosick Falls, New York, was issued a Vermont civil violation complaint for speeding with a waiver penalty of $572 and was released with a citation to answer the charge of excessive speed at Bennington County Superior Court, Criminal Division, at a later date.

Dec. 24

5:45 p.m. Vermont State Police responded to a two-vehicle crash on U.S. Route 7, near Bella Vista in the Town of Pittsford. Through investigation, it was determined that Kenneth Lynch, 21, of West Rutland, driving a 2019 Ford F-550 was driving behind Timothy Johnson, 47, of Barnard, who was driving a 2019 Peterbilt tractor trailer. Both were traveling southbound on Route 7. Johnson was attempting to turn left onto Bella Vista, when Lynch attempted to pass Johnson and entered the northbound lane. Lynch’s truck struck the left front end of Johnson’s causing damage to both vehicles. Route 7 in the area of the crash was temporarily shut down to investigate the crash and clear the roadway. Pittsford Fire Department assisted on the scene. A Vermont civil violation complaint is pending.

County corrections officer accused of inappropriate inmate contact

Working in conjunction with the NYS Department of Corrections, New York State Police report the arrest of a Queens, New York, corrections officer on the charge of officer misconduct, a class A misdemeanor.

Forty-year-old Debra Maldonado stands accused of having an inappropriate relationship with an inmate at the Washington Correctional Facility in Fort Ann on multiple occasions.

According to the New York State Police press release, Maldonado surrendered to State Police at the Granville substation, was processed and later arraigned in Fort Edward Town Court. She was released on her own recognizance pending a future court appearance.

State Police arrest Dunkin Donuts employee for grand larceny

On Wednesday, Dec. 21, State Police of Queensbury arrested Alexia L. Azan, 19, of Fort Edward, New York, for grand larceny in the fourth degree.

On Dec. 21 at about 1 p.m., troopers received a complaint from Dunkin Donuts in Queensbury, New York, reporting missing funds of more than $1,500. The investigation determined Azan was working at the location on Monday, Dec. 12, and took the end-of-day proceeds for the purpose of depositing the funds, which is part of her routine work responsibilities. Azan failed to make the deposit and failed to return the funds.

Azan surrendered herself to State Police in Queensbury, where she was processed. She was issued an appearance ticket returnable to the Queensbury Town Court at a later date.

Hampton man arrested for brandishing gun during dispute

On Thursday, Dec. 22, State Police of Greenwich arrested Damien M. Beayon, 37, of Hampton, New York, for criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree, criminal contempt in the first degree, three counts of menacing in the second degree, resisting arrest and obstructing governmental administration in the second degree.

On Wednesday, Dec. 21, at about 7:51 p.m., troopers responded to a home in Hampton for the report of a domestic altercation. The investigation determined Beayon was in a verbal altercation with the victim when he brandished a long gun and menaced two individuals.

On scene, Beayon refused to comply with instructions and attempted to arm himself with the long gun.

He was safely taken into custody, and no one was injured.

Beayon was transported to Glens Fall Hospital for evaluation. The firearm involved was seized. All this occurred while a full stay-away order of protection was active against Beayon, protecting the victim.

On Thursday, Dec. 22, Beayon was processed at State Police Granville. He was arraigned at the Washington County CAP Court and remanded to the Washington County Correctional Facility in lieu of $2,500 cash or $5,000 bond.

TD bank robbery suspect arrested

A suspect in the Tuesday, Dec. 20, robbery of the TD Bank in the Village of Hudson Falls was quickly apprehended by Hudson Falls Police.

Charged with robbery in the third degree is 52-year-old Harry Franklin of Hudson Falls.

According to officers, Franklin is alleged to have entered the bank about 9:43 a.m. dressed in a black jacket, a winter hat and a face covering and handed a note to a teller demanding money. No weapon was displayed.

Franklin is said to have left the bank on foot heading north on Main Street. The amount of money taken has not been disclosed.

Franklin was transported to the Washington County Correction Facility pending further court action.

Hudson Falls Police were assisted in their investigation by New York State Police and the Washington County Sheriff’s Department.

Hudson Falls man caught with drugs, weapon while in jail

The Washington County Sheriff’s Office say 41-year-old John Shores has been arrested on two counts of possession of dangerous contraband in the first degree.

The Office says the charges result from two different investigations of Shores while he was incarcerated at the Washington County Correctional Facility. In the first instance he was allegedly in possession of a narcotic and in the second, a weapon.

Shores was transported to centralized arraignment where he was remanded on bail but remains housed at the correctional facility for a prior criminal conviction.

He will appear in Fort Edward Court at a later date to answer the most recent charges.