Police Beat, Aug. 4, 2022

Editor’s note: An arrest or a charge is not a conviction. All persons listed are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Charges can be amended or dismissed.

Granville Police Department

July 22

8 a.m. A woman called the station reporting that she arrived home and a woman about 20 years old was in a lawn chair in her backyard. She reported that the woman was using an outside power outlet to charge her phone and her shoes were on the deck. She asked the woman to leave, and the woman did. A description was obtained but police were unable to locate the woman. The homeowner reported no entry was made into her residence, no damage and no property stolen.

July 23

10:30 p.m. A 30-year-old woman used the call box to request assistance at her apartment. The woman reported that she went to her apartment, it was dark, and things were missing. She reported her phone was missing from when she went swimming, as were her shoes. The woman could not place the time of the event. Frequent redirection was necessary to speak with the woman, and when the officer asked the woman about any current medical emergencies, she denied she had any. The woman demanded a copy of her statement that night as well as one from June, but the woman didn’t make a formal statement and the officer said she had to go through the chief for prior documents. When the officer attempted to get a statement, she said she was going for a walk and left.

July 24

5 p.m. A 30-year-old woman had a medical emergency. When police arrived, she was lying on the sidewalk claiming to have a head injury and was unable to get up. The woman was transported to the hospital for a diabetic type 2 attack.

July 25

12:45 p.m. A 59-year-old Pacific Street woman called to report her propane tank had been removed from the gas grill in her backyard. Officers arrived and interviewed a 21-year-old woman who said she doesn’t have a grill or any use for the tank and that the woman yelled at her about it. She took the officer to the backyard and showed her where they have wood fires to cook and told the officer she was upset the woman opened the door to her residence and started yelling at her. The officer interviewed the 59-year-old who said she saw the tank two days prior, and it was now gone and she believed it had been stolen. The officer told the woman she should call the police before contacting the other residents. The officer spoke with the other 53-year-old tenant who said he hadn’t seen anything suspicious but was skeptical of the 21-year-old. More investigation will come for this case.

July 26

12 p.m. A 53-year-old woman called and reported her daughter’s Apple AirPod Pros were stolen or lost on July 26 between noon and 6 p.m. in the village. She said they were bought from a Rent-A-Center in Granville and there was insurance on them, and they needed a police report to claim the insurance. The woman said she would contact the police if they were found.

12:46 p.m. A woman located a dog running in and out of traffic on Quaker Street near the firehouse. The dog was located and taken inside, and the incident was posted on Facebook. The animal control officer was notified later in the afternoon. A Madison Street man claimed ownership and picked up the dog at 1:35 p.m.

July 27

10:30 a.m. DPW superintendent Scott Mackey said he received reports of the homeowner at 10 Burtis St. blocking the street with garbage cans such that Burtis Street couldn’t be used during the paving project on Main Street. The officer spoke with the man who said vehicles could get by and that if the officer wanted them moved, he could move them. The officer told him a ticket could be issued for the offense if he was blocking the street intentionally. Both removed one garbage can from the road, and the man said cars were driving too fast for the area. The officer monitored the street for 15 minutes and saw no substantial traffic or infractions.

3:47 p.m. A 28-year-old woman called to report harassing messages she received on Facebook from a 32-year-old Mettowee Street man. The officer said he would document the information and contact the man. The woman said she did not want an officer to contact the man yet. Officers told her to call again with any further issues

July 28

2:30 p.m. Officers responded to Liquor Stop for a woman who had fallen in front of the store. The 59-year-old woman said that when she had walked out of the store, she became dizzy and fell. Granville EMS did an evaluation, and the woman was taken to Mettowee Valley by family members.

July 29

1:05 a.m. Officers responded to 8 Lyons Lane for a noise complaint of a 49-year-old man dropping his weights on the floor in the upstairs apartment. Officers spoke to the man, and he said he would stop, but officers received another call at 2:30 a.m. for the disturbance. The man said he was going to bed and there would be no more calls.

Whitehall Police Department

July 22

12 p.m. A 54-year-old man entered the station to report that two men, ages 62 and 64, attempted to gain access to the basement of his building to retrieve their tools. The 54-year-old said he spoke with the 62-year-old and they said they had to open the padlock with a screwdriver to gain access. The man said the padlock is now broken but no access was gained and he wanted the incident documented.

July 23

12:52 a.m. Officers were dispatched to 127 Broadway for prior assault and spoke with a 49-year-old woman who said a man wearing jeans and a white T-shirt came across the street and started bothering a 31-year-old woman. She, the other woman and a 24-year-old man said the man exposed his behind while he was running back across the street. She said she pushed the man away with an open hand. The officer spoke with the 24-year-old man who said the unknown man came up to the residence and caused the disturbance. The officer then spoke to the 31-year-old woman who said the man and his girlfriend came over to tell them they didn’t call the police. During the interaction, the woman said the man was getting in her face, and she told him to leave several times. Then the 49-year-old came out and pushed the man. Officers went to 112 Broadway to speak with the man and his girlfriend. The 52-year-old man and 49-year-old woman said they went across the street to tell them they didn’t call the police for an earlier incident. The woman explained that the 49-year-old hit the man with a closed fist, but the man had no redness or laceration. The man declined treatment by EMS, wanted the incident documented, and said he didn’t expose himself to the neighbors.

12:15 p.m. Officers responded to Champlain Avenue for a prior harassment complaint and spoke with a 20-year-old man who said he had an encounter with a 43-year-old man on South Williams Street who had threatened to kill him and then took off. The man was given a courtesy ride to the station where a statement and harassment complaint were taken. The complaint will be forwarded to Judge Putorti for a possible criminal summons.

11 p.m. A 37-year-old man called the station to report that someone had just broken into 62 Main St. and was currently in the upstairs apartment. Officers located a small glass window that was broken and spoke with the caller who said the subjects were in apartment D. While officers spoke with the man, a 38-year-old man came down the stairs and patrols asked him what happened to which he said he didn’t know and would get someone who did. After police spoke with the 37-year-old, officers walked up to the apartment and interviewed a 34-year-old man, a 38-year-old woman, a 36-year-old man and the 38-year-old previously mentioned. The 36-year-old told police that he was the one who broke the glass because he thought his friend was dead because he had not heard back from him in a while. He said he will pay for the broken window, and officers told him that they will contact the landlord to advise them of the incident and why the window was broken. Officers also told the 36-year-old he could possibly be charged for the incident in photos taken by a body camera. The officer called the landlord and explained the situation, and the landlord said he didn’t want the person who broke the glass to get in trouble. The landlord said he tried calling the 36-year-old several times, but no one answered the phone.

July 26

A 20-year-old arrived at the station and told officers that another 20-year-old had punched him during an altercation in the driveway of 63 Champlain Ave. Both 20-year-olds were looked at by Skenesborough EMS for injuries and refused to go to the hospital. The altercation started over a deck of cards not being returned, and the officer was told by both parties that they did not want to press charges.

July 27

11:20 p.m. Officers were dispatched to 128 Main St. for a reported tenant-to-tenant issue. Officers spoke with a 42-year-old man who stated his upstairs neighbor, a 39-year-old woman, keeps leaving the back door open to the porch that they share because she wants her cat to come in and out. The man said he shuts the door because he’s afraid of another animal coming onto the porch as well as bugs. The man shut the door on the porch that evening, and the woman came down the stairs and yelled at him through his bedroom window to leave the door open or else she will make his life “a living hell.” The man said he felt threatened and was afraid she was going to attempt to come back into his residence. The officer spoke with the woman who said she has no issues with the man. The officer explained that she needs to keep the door shut because other tenants did not want the door left open, and the woman became upset stating that the cat is an emotional support animal, and she needs to have the door open to make sure it can come and go as it pleases. Both parties were advised to contact the landlord about the issue with the door as it was not a police issue. The man said he would like charges filed against her for her comment about getting him but police said a charge of harassment does not fit the case.

July 29

3:14 p.m. Officers received a phone call on the police station line from a 40-year-old woman who said she needed police at her residence at 87 West St. to have a 25-year-old man removed. Officers spoke to both parties, and both said there had been arguments and comments directed at each other. The woman said the 25-year-old has a residence in Vermont where he gets his mail and keeps his property there that hasn’t made its way to her house. Both parties said they hit each other, but the woman said she did not want to pursue charges, and the 25-year-old didn’t make mention of it. Due to the nature of the call, the officer said that it would be best for the man to leave for some time, so he packed most of his belongings in his vehicle and left the scene. He was concerned about the belongings of his that had to stay at the woman’s residence until he could come back and retrieve them, but the officer spoke with the woman about the property, and she said she will get them ready for him to pick up at some point. The woman requested that, if possible, police could be on the scene when that happened, and the woman refused to fill out domestic incident report paperwork.

10:54 p.m. Officers were dispatched to the Dollar General parking lot at 180 Broadway for harassment complaints. The caller was a 40-year-old woman who contacted dispatch saying her husband, 41, was on the scene harassing her and trying to fight another person. Officers interviewed the 41-year-old who said he was at Dollar General because he was mad at a 49-year-old man for answering the woman’s cell phone and told him to stop contacting her. He said he told the other man over the phone if he comes to Dollar General, he was going to knock his teeth out, and the other man told him to come up and try. Officers advised the 41-year-old he could be arrested for harassment for his comments to the man. Officers then interviewed the 49-year-old man who said he answered the woman’s phone with consent from her and told the other man to stop contacting her. He said that the other man became irate on the phone and said he would come to Dollar General to knock his teeth out. The 49-year-old did not want to press criminal charges. Officers interviewed the woman and she said she’s been having issues with the 41-year-old ever since they broke up a few days prior. She said he keeps calling and texting her several times since they broke up, and she has blocked his number several times and told him to stop calling. Officers told the woman they’d tell the man to stop calling and texting her and if he does not stop, he could be arrested. The 41-year-old agreed to stop contacting the woman.

See also: Man accused of endangering children 

New York State Police

July 24

1 p.m. An 18-year-old Granville man that State Police refused to name was arrested in Whitehall on three counts of burglary in the second degree of a dwelling, a class C felony. At 9:20 p.m., Daniel F. Valastro, 31, of Whitehall was arrested in Granville on the same charges stemming from the same incidents. Investigation revealed that Valastro and the other male had broken into three seasonal homes. Valastro has three previous felony convictions and is currently on parole. Both were being held.

July 25

3:05 p.m. Thomas P. Bennett, 51, of Whitehall was arrested for criminal contempt in the second degree, specifically disobeying a court order related to a domestic dispute, a class A misdemeanor. He was issued an appearance ticket.

July 26

2:10 p.m. Thomas P. Bennett, 51, of Whitehall was arrested for criminal contempt in the second degree, specifically disobeying a court order related to a domestic dispute, a class A misdemeanor. He was being held.

July 27

5:51 a.m. Gary Q. Markham, 53, of Salem was arrested for DWI, first offense, and DWI of alcohol or drugs, first offense, both class U misdemeanors. He was issued an appearance ticket.

11:35 p.m. Brenda A. Critelli, 60, of Greenwich was arrested in Malta for criminal possession of a controlled substance in the seventh degree, a class A misdemeanor. She was issued an appearance ticket.

July 28

10:17 a.m. Christopher M. Tornetto, 44, of Granville was arrested for criminal trespass in the second degree, a class A misdemeanor. He was issued an appearance ticket.

10:17 p.m. Meghan A. Underwood, 38, of Hudson Falls was arrested in Clifton Park for criminal possession of a controlled substance in the seventh degree, a class A misdemeanor, and criminal possession of a controlled substance in the fifth degree, a class D felony. Her arrestee status was unknown.

July 29

1:44 a.m. Elizabeth H. Shelton, 75, of Salem was arrested in Hebron for DWI, first offense, a class U misdemeanor. She was issued an appearance ticket.

July 30

9:15 p.m. Shannon A. Welch, 37, of Whitehall was arrested in Moreau for criminal possession of a controlled substance in the seventh degree, a class a misdemeanor. She was issued an appearance ticket.

July 31

2:34 a.m. Shaun E. Newton, 43, of Fort Edward was arrested in Stony Creek for menacing in the second degree with a weapon, a class A misdemeanor, reckless endangerment in the first degree and criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree with a previous conviction, both class D felonies. He was being held.

Vermont State Police

July 21

2:54 p.m. Owen Steves, 41, of Greenwich, New York, was involved in a crash investigated by Trooper Ryan Criss on Vermont Route 30 in Dorset. He is cited to appear at the Bennington County Court at a later date on suspicion of driving with a criminally suspended license.

July 25

5:56 p.m. Vermont State Police were notified of a family disturbance at Chalet Heights in the Town of Mendon. Through investigation it was determined no assault had taken place, however, Bernard Tanner, 45, of Mendon had driven on a public highway while under the influence of intoxicating substances. Tanner was placed into custody and transported for processing, then released on citation to appear at Vermont Superior Court, Rutland Criminal Division, at a later date.

9:45 p.m. Vermont State Police were notified of a domestic disturbance that occurred on Hitzel Terrace in Rutland Town. Investigation revealed Dallas Trombley, 35, of Rutland Town physically assaulted a family member. Trombley was taken into custody and processed and released on conditions.

July 26

Vermont State Police recovered multiple suspected stolen bicycles of various makes and models from a residence in Rutland City. Community members who have been victims of a bicycle theft in the Rutland County area are encouraged to email Cpl. Loyzelle at [email protected] with a description of the bicycle and contact information.

5:10 p.m. Vermont State Police responded to a single-vehicle crash on Vermont Route 31 south of Hill Top Road in the Town of Wells. It was determined that Ingrid A. Gevry, 43, of Granville, New York, was driving a 2013 BMW X5 south on Vermont Route 31 when she drove off the right side of the pavement. Gevry attempted to correct the vehicle back onto the paved road, which caused her car to cross the centerline and drive off the right side of the northbound lane where it struck multiple trees. Gevry was issued a citation for operating with a criminally suspended license and released. Vermont State Police were assisted by the Wells Fire Department, Granville Rescue Squad and Poultney Fire Department.

July 27

2:30 p.m. Vermont State Police responded to the report of a single-vehicle crash on Vermont Route 22A north of Coates Hill Road in the Town of Benson. It was determined that a 2014 Peterbilt truck driven by Clint Donovan, 49, of Chelmsford, Massachusetts, was traveling south on Vermont Route 22A when it drove off the right side of the pavement. Donovan attempted to correct the vehicle back onto the paved road surface, which caused the truck to cross the centerline and drive off the right side of the northbound lane where it struck a tree and rolled onto its side. Donovan was transported to Rutland Regional Medical Facility for treatment of injuries, including lacerations to his face, cracks in his lumbar vertebrae and a moderate concussion. His truck was totaled. Vermont State Police were assisted by members of Benson Fire Department, Fair Haven Rescue and the Vermont Department of Motor Commercial Vehicle Enforcement & Safety Division.

July 30

2:16 p.m. Vermont State Police responded to a report of a single-vehicle crash on U.S. Route 7 south of the Pittsford/Brandon line in the Town of Pittsford. It was determined that Cameron Coloutti, 21, of Fair Haven and his passenger, Timothea Carone, 26, of Castleton, were traveling south when his 2014 Chevrolet Silverado Coloutti drove off the right side of the pavement. Coloutti was unable to correct the vehicle before crashing into a utility pole. Coloutti and Carone were transported to Rutland Regional Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries. The vehicle was totaled. Vermont State Police were assisted by the Pittsford Fire Department, Regional Ambulance Service and Brandon Fire Department.

3:01 p.m. Vermont State Police responded to a report of a one-vehicle crash involving a collision with a tree off U.S. Route 7 in the Town of Leicester, near the Brandon/Leicester town line. Initial information further advised both occupants were out of the involved vehicle, a 1997 Dodge truck, but had been injured during the crash. Driver Terry Paul, 78, and passenger Michael Vitagliano, 58, both of Rutland City, were removed from the scene by Brandon Area Rescue Squad and transported to Porter Medical Center.

7:36 p.m. Vermont State Police responded to the report of a boat that crashed into a floating trampoline on Lake Hortonia in Hubbardton. Two juveniles were on the trampoline at the time of the crash and were safely able to make it to shore. One of the juveniles sustained a minor foot injury and the other was uninjured. An adult male sustained a leg injury attempting to help the children. It was determined that Joseph Moffit, 39, of Hubbardton was traveling south on Lake Hortonia in his motorboat at the time of the crash. Investigation revealed Moffit was operating the boat while under the influence of alcohol. Moffit was arrested for BWI and was transported for processing, then released with a citation. Vermont State Police were assisted by the Fair Haven Rescue Squad and Hubbardton Fire Department.

Galway man killed in Argyle motorcycle accident

On Monday, July 22, at 5:18 p.m., the Washington County Sheriff’s Office responded to a reported serious accident involving a motorcycle vs. car on County Route 48 in the Town of Argyle.

Upon arriving on the scene, deputies located a severely injured male who was later identified as Eric C. Larson, 45, of Galway, New York. Larson had been operating a 2007 Harley-Davidson motorcycle riding with a separate motorcyclist south on County Route 48. Larson appeared to have veered into a 2002 Subaru Forester that was northbound.

Larson was thrown from the motorcycle and was severely injured with multiple serious injuries.

The driver of the car, Karley A. Walsh, 28, of Schuylerville, New York, and her passenger, Alexandrea M. Scarchilli, 29, of Mechanicville, New York, were uninjured in the accident.

Larson was transported to the Glens Falls Hospital and later transferred to the Albany Medical Center. He was later pronounced dead.

A section of County Route 48 was closed while the accident was reconstructed. The accident remains under investigation as sheriff’s investigators continue to look at all aspects of the incident.

Assisting agencies included Saratoga County Sheriff’s Office Accident Reconstruction Team, Argyle Fire and EMS and Cossayuna Fire Department.

Overdoses associated with fentanyl-laced drugs in Washington County

The Washington County Sheriff’s Office responded to multiple suspected drug overdose incidents with a 24-hour period last week.

The incidents included at least one fatal and multiple non-fatal overdoses that may be associated with fentanyl-laced drugs.

Fentanyl is commonly mixed with heroin and cocaine and greatly increases the potency of the product being used.

Response efforts to these suspected overdose incidents identified preliminary investigative results indicating that the cause of the overdoses was possibly related to products laced with fentanyl.

One of the overdose incidents included the recovery of some mixed product described as a light purple color.

Members of the sheriff’s office continue to administer Naloxone as trained, however, attempts to reverse the effects of opioids do not work as well on mixed products or products with increased potency.

The sheriff’s office is urging family, friends and support groups of those in a high-risk category for overdose to be made aware of the possibility of the fentanyl-laced mixtures in the area.

If you suspect someone has overdosed, call 911 and administer naloxone, if available. The sheriff’s office will continue to issue updates as any new information becomes available.

Granville man drowns in Mettawee River

On Wednesday, July 27, at about 10:06 a.m. New York State Police responded to the area of Truthville loop in Granville for the report of a missing man.

Troopers searched the area and located the man deceased in the Mettawee River.

Preliminary investigation determined Brett Hilliker, 24, of Granville, who is disabled, entered the river and subsequently drowned.

It is believed that the drowning was accidental, but an investigation is ongoing.