Police Beat, July 21, 2022

Editor’s note: An arrest or a charge is not a conviction. All persons listed are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Charges can be amended or dismissed.

Granville Police Department

July 8

8:48 a.m. A Quaker Street resident informed police of a black Kent mountain bike that had been located near the fence of their backyard. An officer secured the bike and transported it to the station.

10 a.m. A welfare check was requested for a 74-year-old Main Street man who did not show up for work or answer his phone. Police arrived at the man’s apartment where there was no answer at the door. The officer was able to gain access inside and speak with the man who stated everything was fine and that he had overslept.

11 a.m. Police responded to Mountain View Commons on Quaker Street for reports of a self-harm threat made by a 63-year-old woman resident. The responding officer spoke with an administrator who said they were staying away from the resident after the resident became upset with a threat of eviction following her inability to turn over proper records to the administrator. The administrator said the woman then made a statement that she would just kill herself then. The officer spoke with the resident who said she had no plans of following through with the threat that she made while she was upset, that she was afraid to even try to harm herself and that her depression medication had started to effect positive changes. The resident added that she did not want to speak with a mental health unit professional and reaffirmed that what she had said was in the heat of the moment.

9 p.m. A 58-year-old Quaker Street woman requested police assistance for suspicious activity at the Liquor Warehouse on Quaker Street. The woman reported and the responding officer observed a large knife stuck in a piece of wood directly behind the rear door with no noted attempts to gain entry. The woman believed the incident would have happened between closing time on July 7 and the time the incident was reported. The officer noted in the incident report to increase the patrol of that specific area.

July 9

8:30 a.m. Police received a report of an ATV riding on Quaker Street and located the vehicle at Cumberland Farms. The responding officer informed the operator, a man, about the ATV laws. The driver said he was unaware of the laws and just moved to Granville from out of state.

10:35 a.m. Philip D. Easter, 31, of Castleton, Vermont, was ticketed for aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle in the third degree, a misdemeanor, when he was stopped on Church Street. After police observed Easter’s vehicle had an expired inspection, the officer learned Easter’s Vermont state driver’s license was suspended.

1:15 p.m. Carissa A. Hedrick, 32, of County Route 24 in Granville, was ticketed for aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle in the third degree, a misdemeanor, when she was stopped on Church Street. After police observed Hedrick’s vehicle operating at 44 mph in a 30-mph zone, the officer found out that Hedrick had three active suspensions.

4:55 p.m. Tyler J. Morey, 35, of Poultney, Vermont, was ticketed for speeding at a rate of 46 mph in a 30-mph zone on Pine Street.

6:35 p.m. Melissa A. Minke, 60, of Salem, was ticketed for disobeying a traffic control device when she was observed taking a right turn without stopping for the stop sign at the intersection of Main Street and North Street, and then passing to the right of a vehicle attempting to turn left onto Church Street.

July 11

1:08 p.m. Police assistance was requested at the Granville Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation when the administrator of the facility, a woman, told police that a Columbus Street woman had been terminated and was refusing to leave the building. The responding officer interviewed both women and learned that the Columbus Street woman who had been terminated wanted her documents, and the administrator said that they would be available the next day. The Columbus Street woman accepted a courtesy ride to her residence without any further incident and told the officer she would call for assistance on July 12 if her paperwork was not turned over that day.

Whitehall Police Department

July 8

12:20 a.m. Police took a call for a 26-year-old woman and a 28-year-old man who were having an argument while intoxicated, according to the woman. The man was waiting at the station to speak to an officer about having the woman removed from the residence, and the woman told the officer she didn’t want to leave because she had been drinking. When the officer spoke with the man outside the station, he was asked how long the woman had been staying at 62 Williams St., and he said it had been a week and the woman had moved some items that belonged to her. The man was told she could be asked to leave by police, but they couldn’t force her to leave as she had been there for a while. The man said he would find a family member to stay with for the evening and deal with the woman in the morning. The officer called the woman back and told her that the man would be staying with a family member for the night to keep the situation from escalating. The woman then said that she wouldn’t leave until he paid for his child support and the money he owed for fuel. The officer told the woman that he couldn’t do anything about that issue, but she could file a civil suit against him in civil court. The woman became irate and said she would call the CPS hotline and file a complaint, then hung up the phone.

6:22 p.m. Officers were dispatched to 16 Second St. for a missing child who had returned home. The 28-year-old mother requested police speak with her daughter about taking off. The officer arrived and spoke with the mother and daughter about what could happen when she ran off and the daughter said she wouldn’t do it again unless she had permission from her mother.

July 9

6:25 a.m. Officers were dispatched to 62 Williams St. for a disturbance between a 26-year-old woman and a 28-year-old man. Both said that they didn’t want to sign a deposition. The responding officer was assisted by Deputy Dale Quesnel.

7:38 a.m. Jon-Paul Therrien was arrested behind Stewart’s for a bench warrant out of Granville.

2:59 p.m. A 65-year-old man advised that children possibly pushed down the Bigfoot statue in the park. An officer checked the statue out and noticed the stump used for the base was rotted out. The officer could take chunks of rotten wood out of the stump and didn’t add a criminal mischief charge to the incident because there was no evidence to support the charge.

July 10

12 p.m. An officer was dispatched to Skene Street for an injured cat in the roadway. The officer checked the area and was unable to locate the cat.

12:45 p.m. Officers were requested to handle a 911 hang-up call at 88 Babcock Rd. in Dresden. Everything was fine and the call was an accident.

2:46 p.m. A 59-year-old man advised that a 34-year-old man was going through the dumpster that was parked on High Street. The 59-year-old said that the man was evicted from the residence and all his belongings were in the dumpster, and the 59-year-old waited 60 days to clean out the residence. The 59-year-old told the man he could go through the dumpster if he put the garbage back when he was finished. The officer advised the man to put items back in the dumpster that were garbage.

10:07 p.m. Officers were dispatched to Boardman Street for six people causing a disturbance. Patrols interviewed a 25- and 35-year-old man on the scene, but the 25-year-old was irate and stated the incident didn’t involve the police and started to walk away. The officer advised the man that since he did not want police involvement he needed to quiet down and go inside the residence and go to bed. The man stated he was going to sleep in his vehicle, and the officer advised him he could sleep in his vehicle, but he should not move the vehicle during the night because the man was intoxicated and could be arrested for DWI. The man agreed to leave his vehicle where it was. The officer interviewed the 35-year-old man who said he was trying to calm the 25-year-old down regarding an incident that had occurred outside of the village. He said once the other man became irate, he left him alone and walked away. Both parties had been drinking and agreed to stay away from each other for the rest of the evening.

July 11

11:03 a.m. A caller reported a possible silver Honda SUV with a man and woman that had dropped a small dog on Route 22 and continued northbound. The caller was willing to harbor the dog until other arrangements were made.

9:58 p.m. Officers were dispatched to 163 Broadway for a prior trespass. Officers tried to speak with a woman at the residence but were unable to because she kept stating that there was someone outside of her house and the police were not doing anything about it. The officer told her that they had looked around and did not locate anyone on her property nor did it look like anyone tried to enter her home. The woman said she did not feel safe because the unknown individuals might come back and try to break into her house. She said she didn’t know the individuals, but she knew they drove a truck. She said she was leaving and going to the upstairs neighbors for the night. She opened the entryway to the upstairs neighbors and a 66-year-old woman opened the door and stopped her from going upstairs because she said the neighbors were sleeping and did not want to be bothered. The 66-year-old tried to explain to the woman that nobody was trying to get into her residence and there wasn’t a vehicle. The woman said she would stay with her daughter for the night, but officers told her she would be safe in her home, and that they would canvas the neighborhood frequently. The 66-year-old woman told police the woman had said the same thing two weeks prior. She said she had been prescribed medical marijuana for her schizophrenia. The officer asked the neighbor if she could speak with the other woman’s family members to see if they could possibly have the hospital issue a medical pick-up order for her or see if they could have someone stay with her while she’s taking the pills. The woman said she would speak with the other woman’s daughter the next day.

July 12

10:53 a.m. Officers interviewed a 31-year-old woman at the police station who said subjects were prank-calling her telephone. She said that she was hoping the subjects would be called while she was at the police station and that she resides at the Whitehall studio apartments. The officer advised the woman that an incident report would be on file.

July 14

2 p.m. Officers were dispatched to Smith Street for a 911 hang-up call. An officer checked the parking lot and inside Green Mountain Supermarket but didn’t locate anyone in need of help.

New York State Police

July 10

8:29 p.m. Brandon J. Chirico, 38, of Granville was arrested for petit larceny, a class A misdemeanor. He was issued an appearance ticket.

9:36 p.m. Stephen J. Eldredge, 37, of Tucson, Arizona, was arrested in Salem for DWI, first offense, a class U misdemeanor, and aggravated DWI with a child, first offense, a class E felony. He was issued an appearance ticket.

July 11

7:50 p.m. Thomas M. Edwards, 68, of Hampton was arrested for lewdness with intent to be seen, a class B misdemeanor. He was issued an appearance ticket.

July 12

5:56 a.m. Brenda A. Critelli, 60, of Greenwich was arrested for petit larceny, a class A misdemeanor. She was issued an appearance ticket.

July 13

9:44 a.m. Brad M. Gordon, 37, of Whitehall was arrested for criminal contempt in the second degree, specifically disobeying a court order of protection, a class A misdemeanor, that was reported on June 19. He was released on his own recognizance.

July 14

11:05 p.m. Cole H. Gregg, 23, of Rupert, Vermont, was arrested for operating a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08% with a prior offense, a class E felony, and DWI, first offense, a class U misdemeanor. He was issued an appearance ticket.

Vermont State Police

July 10

8:45 a.m. Vermont State Police responded to a tractor trailer crash on Vermont Route 22A north of Coats Hill Road in the Town of Benson. Initial investigation revealed that Hussein Bundid, 33, of Burlington, driving a 2019 International tractor, was traveling south on Route 22A. Bundid’s front passenger side tire entered the soft shoulder, and Bundid was not able to steer his tractor back onto the paved road surface. The tractor continued off the road and landed on its passenger side, sustaining contact damage. Bundid was wearing his seatbelt and was not injured. Vermont State Police were assisted on the scene by Benson fire personnel, Fair Haven Ambulance Service and Earl’s Truck Repair. The crash is still under investigation and Vermont civil violation complaints are pending. Anyone who may have witnessed the crash is asked to call Sgt. Blake Cushing at 802-773-9101.

9:39 a.m. Vermont State Police responded to a single motor vehicle crash at 1837 Brooklyn Rd. in the Town of Mount Tabor. Initial investigation revealed that Nicholas Doane, 35, of Rutland, driving a 2002 Chevrolet Blazer, was traveling west on Brooklyn Road. Doane appeared to have left the roadway off the south shoulder and struck a tree before coming to rest. His car was totaled. Doane was transported by Dartmouth-Hitchcock Advanced Response Team to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, New Hampshire, where he was reported to be in stable condition. Vermont civil violation complaints are pending.

July 11

2:37 a.m. Vermont State Police responded to a burglary alarm at the Jiffy Mart in East Wallingford. Investigation revealed that Dean Hugerth, 51, of Rutland City, forced entry into the building before leaving the store with thousands of dollars in merchandise. Hugerth also was found to be violating court-issued conditions of release of a curfew at his residence. He was located on July 13 and taken into custody and transported to the Rutland State Police Barracks before being lodged at Marble Valley Regional Correctional Facility for lack of $3,000 bail. He was ordered to answer to the charges of burglary, grand larceny, unlawful mischief and violation of conditions of release at Rutland County Superior Court, Criminal Division, at a later date.

5:11 p.m. Vermont State Police were notified of an agency assist for the Rutland City Police Department with a motor vehicle stop on U.S. Route 4 near the railroad tracks in Rutland Town. Through investigation it was determined that transient Bryan Bailey-Clark, 32, was driving a vehicle that had been reported stolen several days prior. Bailey-Clark also had a criminally suspended license. Additionally, Bailey-Clark was found to be impaired by substances other than alcohol and subsequently was charged with aggravated operation without consent of owner, criminal driver’s license suspension, possession of stolen property and DUI on drugs. A judicial official was contacted, and conditions of release were imposed. Bailey-Clark was ordered to appear at Rutland County Superior Court, Criminal Division, at a later date. The Vermont State Police were assisted by Vermont Department of Liquor and Lottery.

July 12

3:02 p.m. Vermont State Police responded to a single-vehicle crash on U.S. Route 7 at Lime Kiln Road in the Town of New Haven. Investigation revealed that Jeffrey Marshall, 73, of Rutland, driving a 2006 Buick Lucerne, was traveling south on Route 7 when he attempted to go around a southbound vehicle in front of him that was turning east onto Lime Kiln Road. Marshall’s vehicle exited the roadway and subsequently hit a large culvert, causing minor windshield damage and unknown damage to the undercarriage of the vehicle. Marshall sustained minor injuries and was transported to Porter Medical Center by Bristol Rescue. Route 7 in the area of the crash was temporarily reduced to one lane of travel during this incident. Neither speed nor impairment were contributing factors in this crash. Vermont State Police were assisted by Bristol Rescue and the New Haven Fire Department.

July 13

1:08 a.m. Vermont State Police observed a motorcycle traveling north at a very high rate of speed on U.S. Route 7 in the Town of Salisbury. The vehicle was captured on radar at a speed of 94 mph in a posted 50-mph zone. The driver was identified as Christopher Hart, 32, of Fair Haven. Hart was taken into custody and subsequently was issued a criminal citation to appear before the Addison Superior Court, Criminal Division, at a later date to answer to charges of negligent operation and operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol or other substances. Hart also was issued $817 worth of Vermont civil violation complaints.

4:40 p.m. Vermont State Police were notified of a family fight on Marble Street in the Town of West Rutland. Through investigation it was determined Allison Stuhlmueller, 24, of West Rutland caused pain or bodily injury to a family or household member. Stuhlmueller was placed in custody and transported for processing. A judicial official was contacted and Stuhlmueller was released on conditions to appear at Rutland County Superior Court, Criminal Division, at later date to answer to the charge of domestic assault.

July 14

10:11 p.m. Vermont State Police conducted a motor vehicle stop on Woodstock Avenue in Rutland for an observed motor vehicle violation. While speaking with the driver, Kelly Clute, 41, of Rutland City, troopers observed signs of impairment. Clute refused to participate in standardized field sobriety tests roadside and was taken into custody for driving under the influence. Troopers also learned that Clute’s license was under criminal suspension for a previous DUI. Clute was transported to the Rutland City Police Department for processing and later released on a citation to appear in Rutland County Superior Court, Criminal Division to answer to the charge of DUI refusal and driving with a suspended license.

July 16

9:26 p.m. Vermont State Police received a report of a single vehicle crash into a ditch at 123 Vermont Route 22A in the Town of Orwell. The operator was identified as William Marsh, 33, of Fair Haven. During investigation it was determined Marsh was under the influence of intoxicants. Marsh was taken into custody for suspicion of driving under the influence and transported to the New Haven Barracks without incident. He was issued a citation to appear in Addison Superior Court, Criminal Division, at a later date.

July 17

Vermont State Police received a report of a stolen dirt bike from a residence in the Town of Mendon. The dirt bike, an orange 2016 KTM 350 XCF valued at $9,000, was chained to the front porch of the residence of Richard Peyton, 60, at 4514 U.S. Route 4, Mendon, at the time it was taken. It did not have license plates on it at the time of the theft. The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact Trooper Daniel St. Clair at 802-773-9101 or submit an anonymous tip at www.vtips.info.

Carry M. Valastro

Granville woman arrested for thefts

The Washington County Sheriff’s Office arrested Carry M. Valastro, 36, of Granville in connection with two investigations by the Sheriff’s Office.

Valastro was charged with burglary in the second degree, petit larceny and possession of stolen property in the fourth degree in connection with a burglary that occurred in the Town of Whitehall on Sunday, June 19.

It was found that Valastro stole U.S. currency from a residence on County Route 9 and also was in possession of a vehicle that was reported stolen from the Town of Jackson at the time of the burglary.

As part of the second investigation Valastro was charged with grand larceny, as it was determined she stole a pick-up truck from a driveway on State Route 4 in the Town of Whitehall. The truck was later recovered in Poultney, Vermont.

At the time of arrest Valastro was a wanted person for a violation of probation issued by Washington County Court. Valastro is being held at the Washington County Jail without bail due to the violation of probation warrant and is due to appear in Whitehall Town Court at a later date.