Police Beat, Jan. 13, 2022

Editor’s note: An arrest or a charge is not a conviction. All persons listed are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Charges can be amended or dismissed.

Granville Police Department

Jan. 1

11:50 a.m. Police responded to a Quaker Street apartment for reports of an 80-year-old woman out of control. The officer spoke with a man who identified himself as the woman’s youngest son. The man said his mother was walking to Mountainview Commons to meet with friends even though she is not supposed to be on that property. The 80-year-old woman confirmed that was where she was headed when police spoke with her and agreed to take a ride to the police station. The officer spoke with the man in the parking lot who said the woman’s mental state was deteriorating and he listed his concerns with her staying at his residence in Dresden. The officer said that the man would have reasons to transport the 80-year-old woman to the hospital for a possible evaluation. The man verbalized a choice for the woman to accept a ride home or to be transported to the hospital. The officer recommended the hospital if the man had concerns about his mother’s mental health, but the officer said they did not observe behavior by the woman that would mandate law enforcement transport.

Jan. 2

3:15 p.m. Police received a call from dispatch about a missing 16-year-old girl out of the Washington County Sheriff’s Office who could have been at a Pearl Street residence. An officer patrolled to the residence and spoke with a 40-year-old man who said the girl was not there or residing there, but was there earlier in the day with her boyfriend, and the man did not know where they went. The man said the 16-year-old girl stays with the boyfriend but he did not know where the boyfriend lived. The officer advised the man to contact the police if she came back to his residence.

6 p.m. Police responded to an Elm Street residence for a custody issue between a 51-year-old Hicks Road man, a 50-year-old Elm Street woman and a 12-year-old Hicks Road boy. The woman, the mother of the child, said the father of the child, the man, was there to pick up the boy but the boy was refusing to leave. The officer spoke with the man who said he had court-ordered papers declaring he gets the 12-year-old boy every other week, and this was his week. The man did not have the documentation with him. The officer spoke with the mother who agreed it was the father’s week to have the boy but the boy was refusing to go out of fear and the mother wasn’t going to force the child to go. She said the father could file a violation against her. The child spoke with the officer and said he was not going with the man. The father said he would take the matter to court, and he left.

Jan. 3

5:57 p.m. Granville police followed up on an incident from last May 7 in which a 49-year-old New York woman called regarding $100 she turned in after finding it at Edwards Market on West Main Street. The woman was advised that police would not be able to return the money to her, only the owner during the first six months. After six months, the woman could call and claim the money if the owner had not been identified. On Dec. 31, police contacted the woman and told her the six-month period had ended and she could take possession of the money she had turned in. The woman came to the station and retrieved the money.

Jan. 4

5:15 p.m. A 51-year-old Park Street man came to the police station to advise police of a situation involving his 24-year-old daughter and her boyfriend. The father said the boyfriend was making threatening texts to “beat him up” and was hiding at an unknown location in Saratoga due to a warrant for his arrest after assaulting the 24-year-old woman. Police were able to contact the boyfriend while the 51-year-old man was at the station. The boyfriend said he did not want any contact with the father and that the 51-year-old man would sign a complaint if it were to occur. The boyfriend would not provide any information about his location. Dispatch received a call later in the day from the 24-year-old woman claiming she had been in a physical altercation with her father at his residence. The woman said both she and her 4-year-old son were COVID-19 positive and that she and her father got into a verbal altercation after getting different temperature readings on the child and the woman wanting to bring the boy to the hospital. The 24-year-old woman said her father took the keys from her and she hit the 51-year-old man on the head, and he pushed her onto the bed with the child in his arms. Both parties declined to press charges and the woman said she was going to stay at the residence unless the child’s health worsened, then she would take the boy to the hospital.

11:50 p.m. A 911 report of an assault initiated by a 23-year-old West Pawlet, Vermont man in the yard of a Church Street apartment resulted in police speaking with a 28-year-old Church Street man. The man said he had been receiving threatening electronic messages from the 23-year-old man who was the ex-boyfriend of the 28-year-old’s current girlfriend. The 28-year-old man told the 23-year-old not to show up at his apartment, but the 23-year-old showed up anyway. The 28-year-old was observed to have blood from a small laceration on the right side of his face but denied medical attention and wanted to sign a statement later in the day.

Jan. 5

9 p.m. Richard R. Bourey, 40, of Plainfield, Connecticut, was ticketed for operating a motor vehicle unlicensed and for traveling 42 MPH in a 30 MPH zone, both violations, after being stopped on North Street. After identifying himself with photo ID and verbally, Bourey said his license was suspended in the state of Connecticut for not paying tickets.

Jan. 6

12:08 p.m. After being recognized walking on Main Street, Jason D. Giordano, 36, of Granville, was issued a criminal summons to appear in Granville Village Court on Jan. 18 on a charge of petit larceny, a class A misdemeanor, following an incident that occurred at Label Shopper on Quaker Street on Dec. 17. A 54-year-old Label Shopper employee called the police on Dec. 17 to report confronting Giordano outside. The employee said Giordano dropped two T-shirts and a set of winter hats valued at $23.97 and ran off. On Jan. 6, the officer questioned Giordano who admitted to leaving the store with the items but claimed to have been shopping and received a phone call. Giordano said he stepped outside with the items to take the phone call and handed over the items to the Label Shopper employee when she confronted him in the parking lot. Giordano signed the summons and acknowledged receiving it.

4:30 p.m. Granville police provided a transport from a North Street apartment to Glens Falls Hospital’s Behavioral Health Unit for a 58-year-old Castleton, Vermont man.

7:15 p.m. After clearing a North Street residence for a harassment incident, police immediately received a return call advising an 18-year-old North Street man was out of control because he thought his mother was being arrested and transported from the scene. The 18-year-old had reportedly injured his hand after punching through glass of the front door. The 18-year-old’s father, a 39-year-old North Street man, told the police he did not want his son arrested but would like the officer to speak with him about his behavior and get medical attention for his son’s hand. The officer located the 18-year-old on the south side of the residence; he did not want EMS assistance and stated his mother was on the way and would transport him to the hospital. The officer was unable to assess the damage to the 18-year-old’s hand as it was wrapped. Although the officer advised the 18-year-old’s mother that EMS evaluation was recommended, the mother transported her son to the hospital.

Jan. 7

5:05 p.m. Police received a call on the station line from a North Street man reporting individuals outside urinating beside their truck. Police patrolled to the North Street apartment complex and spoke with a 39-year-old North Street man and a 42-year-old River Street man. The 39-year-old man said he had urinated between the residence and his vehicle and couldn’t be seen. After speaking with both the complainant and the men, both parties agreed they would not be happy if they or a family member witnessed exposure or a lewd act from a neighbor.

Whitehall Police Department

Dec. 31

11:05 p.m. An officer was dispatched to 60 Poultney St. at the Stewart’s Shop for a general fire alarm. Upon arrival, there was a small smoke condition inside the structure. The officer interviewed a 21-year-old employee who stated there was a small fire inside the pizza oven but she was able to extinguish the flames with a fire extinguisher. The employee was advised to prop the door open and allow the smoke to dissipate from the building.

Jan. 1

11:30 a.m. A responding officer was dispatched to 128 S. Williams St. for a reported larceny of rent money along with a wallet. A man said that sometime during the night an unknown subject broke into the residence while he and a 38-year-old woman were sleeping and stole his wallet along with the rent money. The man stated that he had no idea who would come into the house and steal money in a wallet. A burglary statement and larceny statement were signed.

Jan. 6

6:30 p.m. An officer was dispatched to Doig Steet for an intoxicated man lying in a yard. When the officer arrived, the 41-year-old man was walking in the roadway, intoxicated. The officer gave the man a courtesy ride back to his residence. The officer located the man’s backpack near Doig Street; the backpack was full of beer and also contained a marijuana smoking pipe. The officer left the items on the man’s porch.

Jan. 7

6:05 a.m. While on patrol, an officer was dispatched for a property damage auto accident on Poultney Street and advised three vehicles were involved. The officer located a tractor-trailer with a tanker trailer attached and two pickup trucks involved in a rear-end collision after the tractor-trailer had stopped in the roadway behind a stopped snowplow. No one was injured. The driver of the second pickup truck said he took his eyes off the road to get his coffee and when he looked up he saw he couldn’t stop in time, striking the first pickup, which struck the tractor-trailer. The driver of the tractor-trailer, a 59-year-old man, said two plow trucks stopped because there was not enough room on the bridge for both plow trucks to cross safely. The plow truck had left the scene prior to the officer’s arrival. A traffic ticket for following too closely was issued to the second pickup driver, who was ordered to appear in Whitehall Village Court on Jan. 24. The pickups were towed.

New York State Police

Jan. 2

Peter R. Johnston, 47, of Fort Edward was arrested on two counts of criminal mischief with intent to damage property and acting in a manner injurious to a child younger than age 17, both class A misdemeanors. He was issued an appearance ticket.

Jan. 5

2:15 p.m. Shannon M. Lee, 28, of New York City was arrested in Fort Ann on two counts of introducing contraband into prison in the second degree and one count of criminal possession of a controlled substance in the seventh degree, both class A misdemeanors. She was issued an appearance ticket.

Jan. 8

12:44 p.m. Austin J. Prew, 24, of Greenwich was arrested on two counts of criminal contempt with a prior and aggravated family offense, both class E felonies. He was being held.

Vermont State Police

Dec. 30

4:46 a.m. Vermont State Police were dispatched to a reported single motor vehicle crash into a telephone pole on South Street in the Town of Proctor. Witnesses reported that the driver fled the area after the crash. Troopers located the individual described by witnesses and identified him as Travis Walsh, 33, of Proctor. Walsh denied operating the vehicle at the time, however, through investigation, troopers were able to identify the operator as Walsh. Walsh was arrested on Jan. 5 for leaving the scene of an accident and providing false information to law enforcement and issued a citation to appear in Vermont Superior Court, Criminal Division, at a later date. Troopers were assisted on scene by Proctor Fire Department, Green Mountain Power and Carrara’s Towing.

Jan. 2

10:51 p.m. Vermont State Police were dispatched to a report of a woman slumped over the wheel of her car in a parking lot on Market Street in Proctor. The operator was identified as Ashley Waite, 37, of Proctor. Waite displayed signs of impairment, and it was determined she was driving the car while under the influence of alcohol. Waite subsequently was arrested for suspicion of DUI and was transported to Rutland Regional Medical Center for medical treatment and processing. Investigation further revealed Waite violated an active set of court conditions that prohibited her from consuming alcohol. Waite ultimately was released with a citation to answer for the charge of DUI and violating her conditions of release. Troopers were assisted on scene by Regional Ambulance.

Jan. 6

10:51 p.m. Vermont State Police were dispatched to a report of a conditions violation at an address on Stage Road in Benson. Investigation revealed that Keith Prevost, 53, of Benson violated several active court conditions. Prevost ultimately was lodged at Marble Valley Regional Correctional Facility for lack of $100 bail.

Jan. 7

4:50 a.m. Vermont State Police responded to a residence on Stickney Road in the Town of Whiting for a reported family fight complaint. Investigation revealed that Peyton Mitchell, 21, of Brandon had physically assaulted and caused bodily harm to a household member. Mitchell left the residence prior to the arrival of police. Vermont State Police have not been able to locate Mitchell to date, and he is considered to still be at large. Anybody with any information on the location of Peyton Mitchell is asked to call the Vermont State Police at 802-388-4919.

6 p.m. Vermont State Police were notified of several domestic disturbances that had occurred over the past couple of years at a residence in the Town of Wells. Investigation revealed that Merritt Bell, 50, of Wells had caused pain or injury to a family or household member as well as threatened them while armed with a deadly weapon. Bell was released on court-ordered conditions and issued a citation to appear at Rutland Criminal Court at a later date to answer to the charges of aggravated domestic assault in the first degree and domestic assault.

Jan. 8

4:14 p.m. Vermont State Police were notified of a domestic disturbance in the Town of West Rutland. Investigation revealed that Ronald Viggue, 63, of West Rutland had caused pain or injury to a family or household member. Viggue was released on court-ordered conditions and issued a citation to appear at Rutland Criminal Court at a later date.

Jan. 9

9:34 a.m. Vermont State Police were notified of a single-vehicle crash on U.S. Route 4, near mile marker 13, in the Town of West Rutland. Through investigation it was determined that Brittany Ackerman, 25, of Linwood, New Jersey, while traveling west on U.S. Route 4 in her 2019 Toyota 4Runner, lost control of the vehicle, which subsequently exited the roadway and struck a guardrail. She and her passenger, Andrew Baumgartel, 24, of Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey, were not injured, although her vehicle sustained moderate damage along the passenger side of the vehicle and to the front right wheel. Conditions were icy at the time.

8:31 p.m. Vermont State Police were dispatched to a report of a disorderly man at The Barn restaurant in Pawlet. Troopers learned that Peter Hadeka, 46, of Pawlet, threatened an employee of the restaurant, fired several gunshots in the parking lot and fled the scene. Hadeka was located a short time later at a residence in Pawlet. He displayed signs of impairment, and it was determined that he was operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol. Hadeka was arrested for aggravated assault, possession of cocaine and suspicion of DUI and was transported to Vermont State Police Rutland Barracks for processing. After processing, Hadeka was transported to Marble Valley Regional Correctional Facility for lack of $10,000 bail. Hadeka was scheduled to appear in Rutland Superior Court, Criminal Division, at a later date.