Whitehall sports round-up, Oct. 14, 2021

Whitehall girls soccer streak ends

By Keith Harrington

After edging perennial Adirondack League contender Fort Ann just two days earlier, the Whitehall girls soccer team seemed to be hitting their stride, but in a non-league game on their home pitch against Cambridge on Oct. 7, the Railroaders’ modest three-game winning streak ended abruptly.

The loss left Whitehall coach Boyd Hunt with a rare shortage of words.

“We bounced a little bit tonight,” Hunt said after the Cambridge game. “We played a really good game the other night. Physically we didn’t play as good tonight. Not much else to say than that.”

Last Tuesday the Railroaders picked up their biggest win of the year as they edged Fort Ann 1-0. The win left Whitehall with a shot at the third seed in the upcoming league tournament if they can win out. It was the third win in a row for the Railroaders and just the second league loss for Fort Ann.

“It was a huge win,” Hunt said. “We actually played physically. We didn’t get pushed around. We dug in and fought the whole way.”

The teams were tied 0-0 at the half and it stayed that way until late in regulation time.

Madison Gould finally broke the deadlock when she hit the net at the 69:12 mark.

Dory Gosselin had three saves for the Railroaders to earn the shutout. Baylee Wright had three saves for the Cardinals.

Whitehall raised its mark to 4-3, 5-5. Fort Ann fell to 5-2-1, 8-3-1.

On Thursday the Railroaders hosted Cambridge of the usually strong Wasaren League. Whitehall fell behind 2-0 and attempted to rally before suffering a 3-1 loss.

Cambridge took a 1-0 lead on a perfectly placed shot from Samantha Crandall. Crandall came down the right wing and lofted a high, arching shot over the head of Gosselin and into the upper right-hand corner with 5:42 left in the first half.

Crandall scored her second goal of the game at the 20:43 mark of the second half to give Cambridge a 2-0 advantage. Crandall’s tally was a carbon copy of her first half goal, with the exception being it took place at the opposite end of the field. She dribbled down the right wing and lofted a deep shot that again found a home in the upper right-hand corner.

Whitehall cut the lead in half in the 83rd minute. Samantha Howland struck a direct kick on goal that was initially stopped by Cambridge goalie Rochelle Davis. The ball came loose from Davis’s grasp. Jayden Hughes collected it for the Railroaders and distributed it into the net.

“We could have easily cruised to get beat two-nothing, but we kept fighting,” Hunt said. “We were very off. A step off all the time.”

Cambridge put the game on ice late in the contest. Addison Gates scored when a ball that appeared to have crossed the end touchline was ruled still in play. After bouncing off the post Gates recovered it and slipped it past Gosselin to make it 3-1.

Davis had five saves for Cambridge. Gosselin stopped 12 shots for Whitehall. Howland also recorded three saves after Gosselin left the game briefly due to an injury.

Hunt still believes his team can go on a run in the league tournament and sectionals.

“When we play the way we’re supposed to they’re a very talented group,” Hunt explained. “But sometimes we throw clunkers like this. And sometimes you just don’t have it on a certain night.”

Whitehall is now 4-3, 5-6. Cambridge is 2-2, 4-3.

Three teams compete in cross country

By Keith Harrington

The Granville-Whitehall cross country team hosted a meet with Lake George and Hartford last week on its 2.9-mile course. The Granville/Whitehall boys split their two races with the Warriors and Tanagers. The girls team was incomplete with not enough runners to be scored, but still enjoyed some individual success.

The Granville-Whitehall boys lost to Lake George 18-44, but edged Hartford 26-29.

Lake George ran past the Tanagers 17-43.

Isaac Herrick of Lake George finished first with a time of 18:34. The Warriors’ Oliver Herrick was second with an 18:36.

Quinn Johnson was the highest finisher for Granville-Whitehall with a 19:15.

Hartford’s Logan Reynolds placed fifth with a 19:20. Bryton Mandigo of the Tanagers was right behind Reynolds with a 19:22.

On the girls side Lake George swept both Granville-Whitehall and Hartford.

Lake George topped Granville-Whitehall and Hartford 15-40. The Tanagers’ team was also incomplete so neither side could be scored in the head-to-head race with Granville-Whitehall.

Amber Gibbs of Granville-Whitehall finished first in the race with a time of 21:19. Hartford’s Brynn Tyler was second with a 22:28.

Natalie Morin of Granville-Whitehall finished seventh by running a 27:39.