Argument leads to order of protection

Argument leads to order of protection
Granville Police Department

A harassment complaint reported to the Granville Police Department resulted in the issuance of an order of protection and criminal summons to appear in court.

Police were dispatched on Friday, Sept. 17, at 3:30 p.m. to the vicinity of the Granville Little League complex for a harassment complaint that took place on Church Street, where the responding officer spoke with a 29-year-old Church Street woman.

The Church Street woman told the officer that she had gotten into a verbal argument with her father, a 54-year-old Church Street man, that turned physical when the father hit the daughter in the stomach with a car door.

Police patrolled to the father’s residence to get his perspective, to which the man agreed there was a verbal argument because he wanted to speak with his grandson, the daughter’s 8-year-old son. The man said his daughter grabbed him from behind and he pushed her off.

The officer then spoke with neighbors across the street on South Street who witnessed the incident. A 46-year-old woman told the officer she didn’t see the beginning of the altercation, but she heard yelling for help and saw the two pushing each other.

The 46-year-old woman said her 17-year-old daughter saw what happened through the window facing the location of the incident. The 17-year-old girl told the officer she saw the 54-year-old man near the car by the 8-year-old boy, and then the man and the 29-year-old woman began pushing each other.

The 46-year-old woman chimed in and said the mail lady was in the area when the incident occurred and intervened.

The 29-year-old woman provided a statement at the police station and requested an order of protection. Upon their return to the police station, the officer provided documentation to the court for a criminal summons and order of protection request and then gave a call to the Child Protective Services mandated reporter hotline.

On Sept. 21, the criminal summons and order of protection were served to the 54-year-old man. The 29-year-old woman was left a voicemail that the 54-year-old man had received both forms of documentation and that a copy for her was available at the police station.