Burglary suspect nabbed after police chase

Burglary suspect nabbed after police chase

A 33-year-old Whitehall man was arrested Wednesday afternoon on a series of felony burglary charges after leading police on a high-speed chase in a stolen car.

Jesse Tyrell faces nine charges in connection with a string of robberies in Whitehall, one being the Rail Yard Restaurant. More charges are pending, police said.

The car Tyrell drove during the high speed chase

At about 2:15 p.m. On Sept. 15, Investigator Frank Hunt made his way to 114 Broadway Ave. in an attempt to locate Tyrell in regard to a stolen unique $20 bill that he used to pay for merchandise earlier in the day. The $20 bill had been reported stolen from the Rail Yard Restaurant during a burglary on Sept. 14.

Tyrell was at the residence and when Hunt asked him about the $20 bill he initially told Hunt that his employer, John McFarren, gave it to him. McFarren was called and he stated that he did not give Tyrell a $20 bill; he said he gave him a $100 bill that day.

Hunt told Tyrell that the $20 bill had been stolen from the Rail Yard and asked that he come with him to Whitehall police station to discuss it further. Tyrell asked Hunt if he was being arrested and Hunt told him yes.

Saying “I think I’m gonna need lawyer,” Tyrell took off running down the sidewalk on Broadway in a northerly direction.

Hunt yelled to Tyrell several times to stop as he continued to run away. He ran behind some houses just before the Post Office heading toward West Street. Hunt continued foot pursuit to West Street and lost sight of Tyrell.

A man driving by yelled to Hunt that he just saw a guy running up Williamson Street off from West Street. Hunt went to Williamson which is a dead-end street and Officer Vandenburgh arrived.

As Hunt walked by the last house on the right side of the road, he saw Tyrell standing behind the house and yelled for him to not move but be took off running again toward the wooded area behind the house.

Officer Gilmore arrived and started to chase Tyrell through the woods toward Saunders Street. Officer Gilmore discontinued the pursuit and Hunt called for the K9 unit. Shortly after while awaiting the K9, Washington County EMS reported a car being stolen on Saunders Street and Officer Seebode called in pursuit of the vehicle.

Tyrell was taken into custody at about 2:45 p.m. on Hatch Hill Road after trying to flee on foot but was stopped and tackled by officer Seebode, who sustained injuries to his leg and received four stitches in his hand due to a laceration. Tyrell was also transported to Glens Falls Hospital for treatment of a sore shoulder.

At the hospital, Hunt advised Tyrell of his Miranda rights. Tyrell said he understood and that he really (expletive) up and that he was going back to prison for at least 5 years.

During conversations at the hospital and while transporting him back to Whitehall for processing, Tyrell said to Hunt that the safe he had taken from the Rail Yard was in the dumpster at Joe’s Pizza and that all its contents were gone. Tyrell said to Hunt that he threw the safe’s contents into the river.

Tyrell also stated that a briefcase he took from Champlain Coal was in the wooded area behind the gazebo across from the Champlain Coal office. Tyrell said he ate a piece of candy when he was inside Champlain Coal.

Hunt read Tyrell his Miranda warnings when they arrived at the police station and he stated he understood and agreed to talk without an attorney present. Tyrell made admissions to breaking into Champlain Coal and Rail Yard Restaurant and stated that he did not break into the Sunoco station or steal stuff from Warrens Tire or at Cover It, located at the Whitehall Marina.

Tyrell declined to sign a written statement until he had an attorney present. He was fingerprinted and photographed and charged with multiple counts.

At Champlain Coal Tyrell is charged with burglary in the third degree and a misdemeanor of petit larceny. At the Rail Yard Restaurant, his is charged with burglary in the third degree, grand larceny in the fourth degree and resisting arrest.

During the stolen car chase, Tyrell is charged with grand larceny in the fourth degree, reckless endangerment and criminal possession of stolen property in the fourth degree. He also has been charged with one count of assault with intent to cause physical harm or injury with a weapon. There are still more charges to come, according to Whitehall Police Chief Ernie Bassett.