Police Beat, Sept. 2, 2021

Editor’s note: An arrest or a charge is not a conviction. All persons listed are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Charges can be amended or dismissed.

Granville Police Department

Aug. 19

10:30 p.m. Two officers were requested to go to an East Main Street apartment for a report of ongoing harassment. Upon arrival, the officers met with a 36-year-old Pawlet, Vermont man who said a woman from West Pawlet, Vermont had been sending him multiple messages on Facebook and left a pair of women’s underwear in his mailbox. The man told the officers he knew the West Pawlet woman through a friend who used to date her, and when they broke up, the woman became obsessed with him and wouldn’t leave him alone. The 36-year-old said the word “hi” was written in the dust on the door window to his apartment. Advisement from the officers was to block the woman and that the officers would search the area for the vehicle described to them and to try and speak with the West Pawlet woman. Shortly after, the 36-year-old man called the police again saying he just found another pair of women’s underwear in the back seat of his girlfriend’s car that wasn’t there before. Upon arrival, police located a green thong in the backseat of the man’s girlfriend’s car. There were no observed signs of forced entry. After patrolling both on foot and staying in the area, the officers did not observe anyone near the 36-year-old man’s apartment besides him and his girlfriend.

Aug. 20

11:20 a.m. Police were contacted by a 32-year-old man reporting fraudulent activity. The man explained he had made an online purchase of $180 and later found the website he purchased from had been taken down. The 32-year-old’s bank account had already processed the transaction by the time he learned the website was fraudulent. The man advised the officer that there was no option to dispute the transaction directly with the vendor due to the disappearance of website/contact information. The 32-year-old had already notified TD Bank to initiate a transaction dispute process, which required the man to call the police in order for the bank to continue its investigation.

Aug. 21

6 p.m. Police were dispatched to a Quaker Street apartment to assist a 79-year-old woman who was locked out of her residence. The woman was advised by the officer that she needed to get the code to the lockbox from management.

Aug. 24

8 p.m. Police arrived at an East Quaker Street residence for reports of an out-of-control 15-year-old boy who was threatening to harm himself. The responding officer spoke with the 39-year-old father of the child who advised the officer that his son had hit his head on the floor multiple times after making threats to harm himself. At this time, the father held the boy down so the officer could look for any visible injuries with negative results. The boy said he was fine and didn’t need any medical attention. Then the child told the officer that there was nothing worth living for and he thought about killing himself the other day. The officer advised the father to meet him at Glens Falls Hospital Behavioral Health Unit and transported the boy there after contacting hospital staff.

Aug. 26

10:35 p.m. While patrolling the Granville Little League park, two officers observed an open door to the concession stand. The officers searched the building and found no one inside or anything to be missing. A 45-year-old Quaker Street man was contacted to come and secure the door.

Whitehall Police Department

Aug. 20

1:26 p.m. A 69-year-old man went to the station and requested police speak with a 59-year-old about construction debris on his property at 203 Broadway. The man said construction items have been placed on his property and he wanted them moved. The 69-year-old man stated that he asked him 16 months ago to remove it and he has not. An officer met with the 59-year-old man at his home and he agreed to move the items.

11:15 p.m. An officer was dispatched to 118 Broadway Ave. for a reported domestic between a 38-year-old woman and a 49-year-old man. When the officer arrived and met with the 49-year-old man, he stated they got into an argument. The officer ordered the man to stay downstairs with another patrolman while they spoke with the 38-year-old woman still inside the residence. When the woman saw that it was a police officer she immediately began to cry and hold her face. The woman advised the man got into an argument with her and hit her in the face, as well as placing his arm on her upper chest. The woman advised she wanted to sign a complaint and have the man arrested. The officer spoke with the man who admitted that it became physical, however, he advised he pushed her away from him, and that she also attacked him. The officer spoke again with the woman who stated she just wanted to leave the residence for the night and did not want to sign a complaint or statement at this time. The officer assisted the woman with her belongings to her car. Both parties separated for the night and a domestic incident report was completed.

Aug. 26

9:25 a.m. A responding officer spoke to a 27-year-old woman on the phone in reference to her mother, a 53-year-old woman. The 27-year-old woman wanted a welfare check done on her mother, as her mother had flown home from Arizona on the previous date and the 27-year-old woman had not heard back from her. A responding officer patrolled to the residence and spoke with the woman. The officer called the 27-year-old woman back and advised her that her mother was fine.

9:40 a.m. A 65-year-old man called and requested a welfare check be done on his mother. An officer responded to the woman’s apartment on Elizabeth Avenue. The woman was in bed and said she was fine and did not need anything. The officer was unable to have the woman turn over and look at them, but she insisted she was fine. The officer then spoke with a worker at the facility and he advised that it was not like her to still be in bed. The officer contacted the 65-year-old man and advised him of the same. The 65-year-old man was on his way to check in on her and the officer advised if he needed anything to let them know.

5:20 p.m. A responding officer took a call at the station for a welfare check on a 31-year-old woman. Upon speaking to the woman, she advised that she was fine and that there were no issues at the house with her. She had no idea why anyone would call about her. The woman’s boyfriend, a 60-year-old man, was also at the residence and said she has been fine and has had no issues. When advised of the caller’s name, the officer was informed that she was probably calling because she was crazy.

11 p.m. While an officer was in Stewart’s, an employee asked that a welfare check be made on a man in a van in the parking lot. The employee said a few customers were concerned for his welfare because he did not appear to be acting normal. The officer located the van with the man sleeping in the driver’s seat. The officer said the man told him he had been traveling for a while and became very tired so he stopped for a short time to rest. The officer explained the reason for contacting the driver, who said he would get a drink and leave.

New York State Police

Aug. 22

12:52 p.m. Daniel E. Lord, 51, of Hudson Falls was arrested in Greenwich for criminal possession of a controlled substance in the seventh degree, a class A misdemeanor, and operating a motor vehicle while impaired by drugs in the first degree, a class U misdemeanor. He was issued an appearance ticket.

9:07 p.m. Corey M. Russell, 33, of Hudson Falls was arrested for an incident reported on May 1 involving possession of a weapon, specifically criminal mischief with intent to damage property and criminal contempt in the second degree, specifically disobeying a court order, both class A misdemeanors; aggravated family offense, a class E felony; and criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree with a previous conviction, a class D felony. He was being held.

11:27 p.m. Cheryl M. Palya, 49, of Wells, Vermont, was arrested in Greenwich for criminal possession of a controlled substance, stimulants, in the fourth degree, a class C felony. She was issued an appearance ticket.

Aug. 24

8:44 p.m. Christopher R. Bootier, 32, of Hampton was arrested in Fort Ann for criminal mischief in the fourth degree, specifically preventing an individual from communicating a request for emergency assistance, and acting in a manner injurious to a child younger than 17, both class A misdemeanors. He was being held.

9:08 p.m. Noah J. Bourn, 24, of Schuylerville was arrested for operating a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration of .08% and DWI, both first offenses and class U misdemeanors. He was issued an appearance ticket.

Aug. 26

10:48 p.m. Christopher J. Bradford, 62, of Glens Falls was arrested in Greenwich for criminal possession of a controlled substance in the first degree, a class A misdemeanor, and operating a motor vehicle while impaired by drugs in the first degree, a class U misdemeanor. He was issued an appearance ticket.

Aug. 27

5:28 p.m. Theodore J. Eichler, 34, of Schuylerville was arrested in Saratoga Springs for resisting arrest and criminal possession of a controlled substance in the seventh degree, both class A misdemeanors. He was issued an appearance ticket.

Aug. 28

10:45 p.m. Egbert A. Shaw, 36, of Salem was arrested in Hebron for assault with a weapon with intent to cause physical injury, a class D felony; two counts of menacing with a weapon in the second degree, a class A misdemeanor; criminal mischief in the third degree involving property valued in excess of $250, a class E felony; resisting arrest, a class A misdemeanor; criminal contempt in the first degree involving a weapon, a class E felony; and criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree with intent to use, a class A misdemeanor. He was being held.

11:17 p.m. Shaylah A. Baker, 26, of Whitehall was arrested in Whitehall for DWI, first offense, and aggravated DWI per se, no prior, both class U misdemeanors. She was released to a third party.

Vermont State Police

July 18

1:46 p.m. Vermont State Police were advised of a single car crash on Vermont Route 3 near Crown Point North in the Town of Pittsford. Troopers learned that Jennifer Barnard, 35, of Proctor had fallen asleep while traveling northbound on Vermont Route 3. Barnard’s 2007 Toyota RAV4 continued off the east shoulder of the northbound lane, south of Crown Point North, and struck a mailbox and power pole. No injuries were reported. Pittsford Fire Department, Regional Ambulance Service, Green Mountain Power and Howe Center Auto assisted at the crash. Anyone with any information regarding the crash is asked to contact the Vermont State Police at 802-773-9101.

Aug. 3

12:24 a.m. Vermont State Police located a crash on Wheelerville Road at the intersection of Legal Trail 6 in Mendon. Troopers determined that John Wells, 32, of Rutland was traveling south on Wheelerville Road and left the roadway. Wells’ 2015 Subaru Outback went over an embankment and was totaled. Wells was uninjured. Troopers were assisted by Regional Ambulance and Rutland City Fire Department.

Aug. 13

9:30 p.m. Vermont State Police responded to 5054 Route 7A in Arlington for a family disturbance. Investigation revealed that Rex Lane, 46, of Arlington had an active warrant for his arrest. Lane resisted while being placed under arrest. On Aug. 20, Lane was issued a criminal citation to appear at the Bennington Superior Court, Criminal Division, at a later date to answer to the charge of resisting arrest.

Aug. 19

10:20 p.m. Vermont State Police responded to a reported single-vehicle crash on Walker Mountain Road in the Town of Clarendon and located a 2006 Honda Odyssey van off the west side of Walker Mountain Road in a ditch. The operator, identified as Crystal D. Jones, 38, of West Rutland, was on scene. Initial investigation revealed that Jones was traveling southbound on Walker Mountain Road when she drove off the west side of the roadway, colliding with a telephone pole and coming to uncontrolled rest. Jones displayed signs of impairment and was screened for driving under the influence. She was subsequently taken into custody for suspicion of DUI and was processed and released with a citation to appear in Vermont Superior Court, Rutland Criminal Division, to answer to the offense of DUI.

Aug. 20

1:15 p.m. Vermont State Police responded to a call from the Rutland Regional Medical Center to meet with the victim of a domestic assault that occurred on Aug. 20 at 10:15 a.m. at a residence on North Shrewsbury Road in Clarendon. Investigation into the incident led to the arrest of William D. Adams, 31, of Clarendon for the crime. Adams was cited to face the charge at a later date.

Aug. 24

6:56 p.m. Vermont State Troopers were notified of a single-vehicle crash on West Hill Road in the Town of Wallingford. Troopers arrived and identified the operator as John Molnar, 74, of Pittsford. Molnar showed signs of impairment and after a subsequent investigation was taken into custody and processed for suspicion of DUI. He was later released on a citation to appear in court. Troopers were assisted by the Wallingford Fire Department and Wallingford Rescue Squad.

Police probe fatal officer-involved shooting

Vermont State Police are investigating a fatal shooting by a Rutland City Police Department officer that occurred Wednesday afternoon, Aug. 25, at a McDonald’s restaurant in the city, according to a press release from the Vermont State Police.

The officer is identified as Cpl. Christopher A. Rose, who has served with the Rutland City Police Department for more than five years. The deceased is Jonathan Daniel Mansilla, 33, of Coral Gables, Florida; his primary residence is Miami, Florida.

An autopsy performed Thursday, Aug. 26, at the chief medical examiner’s office in Burlington determined the cause of Mansilla’s death to be gunshot wounds of chest, and the manner of death was determined to be homicide, with Mansilla shot by a police officer.

The series of events that culminated in the fatal police shooting began with a hit-and-run car crash that occurred at about 1:15 p.m. on Wednesday in the parking lot of the Goodwill store located at 230 N. Main St. in Rutland.

Police agencies in the area were advised to be on the lookout for Mansilla’s vehicle, a black 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The victim of the hit-and-run crash later located the vehicle in the town of Wallingford and alerted Lt. Kevin Geno, a member of the Rutland County Sheriff’s Department who was on a nearby traffic stop.

Geno cleared from the traffic stop and located the suspect’s vehicle headed north on U.S. Route 7 in Clarendon, where he stopped the vehicle at about 2:15 p.m.

Shortly after stopping, the operator, later identified as Mansilla, fled the scene and continued driving north. Geno initiated a pursuit but lost sight of the vehicle and terminated the pursuit. The sheriff’s department began to search for the suspect’s vehicle in the vicinity of Vermont Route 103, Cold River Road and North Shrewsbury Road. Sheriff’s Department Lt. James Bennick located the vehicle in a driveway on North Shrewsbury Road, but Mansilla did not follow the officer’s commands and again fled from law enforcement.

Deputies pursued the vehicle onto Cold River Road and Stratton Road, where they determined the pursuit had become too dangerous and terminated it. Deputies observed the vehicle turn onto Allen Street and head west toward U.S. Route 7 (South Main Street) in Rutland City. Mansilla’s vehicle crashed into the back of a UPS truck on Allen Street just east of U.S. Route 7 and adjacent to the McDonald’s.

The Rutland City and Rutland Town police departments also were responding to the situation. At about the time of the crash, Rose became involved in the police response.

Mansilla ran from the crash scene and into the McDonald’s with Rose chasing him. Inside the restaurant, an altercation ensued between Mansilla and Rose, at which time the officer discharged his duty weapon. Mansilla was struck and died of his injuries inside the McDonald’s. The circumstances surrounding that altercation remain under investigation, and no further details will be released until the Vermont State Police completes interviews with Rose and witnesses.

Upon completion of the Vermont State Police investigation, the case will be handed over to the Vermont Attorney General’s Office and the Bennington County State’s Attorney’s Office for independent review of the police use of deadly force. The Rutland County State’s Attorney’s Office recused itself from involvement in the case.