Police Beat, April 22, 2021

Editor’s note: An arrest or a charge is not a conviction. All persons listed are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Charges can be amended or dismissed.

Granville Police Department

April 10

10:10 a.m. Christopher M. Dunbar, 24, of Wells, Vermont was ticketed for operating a motor vehicle on West Main Street without a seatbelt.

11:30 a.m. Tyler A. Granger, 19, of Granville was ticketed for operating a motor vehicle on Mettowee Street without a seat belt.

3:30 p.m. A Granville police officer was dispatched to assist Granville Engine & Hose Co. #1 and Granville EMS with lifting and extricating a woman requiring medical attention on Grandview Drive. The officer assisted the first responders in getting the woman out of her bedroom and onto a stretcher.

7 p.m. The police department received the name and number of a guardian, a Long Island woman, claiming a 17-year-old boy is missing. Upon speaking to the woman, a senior officer from Granville informed the woman that the 17-year-old has been in Granville all week, leading to the woman requesting the police locate him and contact her after. After five minutes, police located the boy at a friend’s house on North Maple Street where he said he was safe and welcome to stay where he was. Upon agreeing to speak with the police at the station, the boy said he spoke with Child Protection Services (CPS) and they told him to stay where he was if he felt he was safe and welcome. Additionally, the boy said the Long Island woman was using him to get money from the state to use it on herself. Granville Police contacted CPS which said they were looking into arrangements to get the boy into a new foster home. After contacting the Long Island woman, she inquired the possibility of paying the police department to give the boy a ride home. The senior officer said they would not be driving the boy home and that the train was not an option for at least a few days. CPS, the 17-year-old boy and the Long Island woman all agreed that if the boy felt safe and had a place to stay, he could stay where he was and return home later in the week. On April 12 at 2 p.m., Granville police were notified the woman was looking into having the 17-year-old boy listed as a runaway, and that her local agency will send a report to Granville police listing him as such. The woman advised the answering officer that the case manager for the boy would be responsible for arranging pick-up. The boy’s last known address was on Hatch Hill Road in Whitehall. Later on April 12, the woman called again requesting the officer go and “detain” the 17-year-old boy because he has not returned home.  The officer advised the woman he cannot detain the boy unless a File 6 is out for the boy. The woman said she had already faxed a File 6 to the police department. The officer said it was not a missing person’s report, and that the boy’s whereabouts are known to the mother, the boy is just refusing to go home. An officer from Nassau County Police Department called the station saying the Long Island woman was calling him in reference to the boy being a missing person. The Nassau County police officer was informed of the situation and requested if a welfare check could be done to confirm the health and safety of the boy. Granville police located the 17-year-old boy at the North Maple Street residence and confirmed he’s in good health with no complaints. The boy said he’s not refusing to go home but that the Long Island woman expects him to find a way back to Long Island without paying for transportation. The boy said he would gladly go with the Long Island woman if she came to Granville and picked him up. A detective from Nassau County Police Department then called Granville police saying they have a missing persons report for the 17-year-old boy. The detective provided Granville police with a contact from the Otsego County Department of Social Services (DSS) which had the case for the 17-year-old boy. After speaking with the on-call communicator for DSS, per the social worker, the boy was to stay in Granville until April 14 when DSS would pick him up at the police station and return him to his home in Long Island as requested.

April 12

4 p.m. A 14-year-old girl was accompanied by her 39-year-old father to the police station to report that an older man with white hair and a dark beard had appeared to be following her as she was walking on Potter Avenue after track practice. The girl said she became uncomfortable and started to walk faster and that the man following her started to walk faster as well. The girl then said she called her father in fear who told her to go into the Stewart’s Shops on Quaker Street. The man stopped following the girl at the fence before Stewart’s. The girl told the officer that two of her friends told her of a similar experience with a man with a similar description following them in Veterans Memorial Park about a week ago. The father was advised the incident would be documented and night shift officers would be made aware. An all-points-bulletin (APB or BOLO) was issued with negative results at the time.

April 14

11:15 p.m. Police were dispatched to the area of North street for the report of a woman falling on the ground and appearing to be forced into a vehicle by two men. The officer saw the reported vehicle pulling away, activated the emergency lights and pulled over the vehicle as it turned onto Church Street. The driver threw up his hands with two other passengers visible. The driver, a 57-year-old man, had exited his vehicle and was walking towards one of the side apartments. The officer walked up to the passenger side of the vehicle and checked on a woman in the passenger seat to see if they were injured. The woman had a strong odor of alcohol on her breath and was asking the officer why he was pulling them over. The 57-year-old man then started walking towards the officer belligerently saying he had no right to be there. The officer advised the man that someone called the police because they were concerned about the woman’s welfare based on what they witnessed. At this point, the caller, a 36-year-old woman, pulled into the parking lot to make sure the officer didn’t need anything, leading to the 57-year-old man yelling at the 36-year-old woman to mind her own business. The 57-year-old man was told to stop yelling or he would be arrested. The back seat passenger, a man, was observed to be covered in grass but said he was fine. While attempting to identify the man in the backseat, the driver came towards the vehicle again and told the man in the backseat not to identify himself. The 57-year-old man was told to stop yelling again, to which he said the backseat passenger was a federal employee and would have the officer’s job in 10 minutes. The backseat passenger provided his name, said he was fine again, and was a guest of the driver and the woman in the front passenger seat. After walking towards the vehicle again, the officer asked the 57-year-old man why he was causing a scene. The driver responded by saying he hated the Granville police, the village of Granville and the Granville Sentinel for publishing police articles. The officer advised the driver that the police are required to document incidents when they conduct an investigation. The 57-year-old man then said all the Granville police did was screw over his sister, so he hates them for it. The man was advised he could go inside if he was all set. After confirming everyone was in good health and not in need of emergency services, the officer cleared the scene.

Whitehall Police Department

April 9

10:56 p.m. A 52-year-old North Mountain Street woman reported seeing and hearing children two doors down playing outside and calling for their mother and sounded like they were unsupervised and wanted a welfare check. The reporting officer prior to the call observed several adults and youths at the residence, outside and barbecuing. The officer patrolled to the residence and spoke with a 26-year-old woman and 29-year-old man who stated they were supervised.

April 10

12:56 a.m. A 38-year-old Broadway Avenue woman contacted the station for a non-emergency EMS line for chest pains. The responding officer had dispatch send EMS to the location. The officer patrolled the residence and met the woman outside and sat with her until EMS arrived and transported her.

12:19 p.m. A 30-year-old woman called in reference to her keys locked in her truck and needed some help getting in. The officer asked her what garage she wanted, and she stated Smith Street Auto. The officer called Smith Street Auto for her and they said it would be about 20 minutes. The officer called her back to let her know.

7:42 p.m. An officer was dispatched to West Street for a prior trespass. A 29-year-old woman stated that while she was home at her new address a 76-year-old man entered and began asking what she was doing there and did not knock before entering, which made her concerned and she contacted a 23-year-old man who was not home at the time and is renting the residence. Both individuals did not want to pursue legal matters but wanted to advise the intruder that he is not welcome at the residence. The individuals also stated the man has access to the shed as he was the caretaker for the previous resident who recently passed away and was alleged to have entered the shed. The current residents were unsure if anything was taken.

April 13

10:53 a.m. A 59-year-old man reported a vehicle parked in his handicapped spot in front of his Williams Street residence. The reporting officer located the 24-year-old owner and had them relocate the vehicle.

April 14

3:43 p.m. A 40-year-old Mountain Street man reported that a 37-year-old man had garbage in his yard, and it was preventing him from mowing the lawn. The man also had a complaint about a green SUV parked in the intersection at the same residence. An officer went to the address and spoke to the man and he had the garbage removed and he stated he would find a spot for the SUV.

4:20 p.m. A 65-year-old Mountain Street woman attempted to deliver paperwork to a 36-year-old man. She asked for assistance due to being nervous about how he would react when receiving it. The woman knocked on the door multiple times with negative contact made.

April 15

6:56 p.m. A 77-year-old woman reported receiving a fraudulent call from someone requesting her to pay $1,500 for an Amazon package she did not purchase. She stated she advised the person of the same and hung up. The responding officer verified that she did not provide any further information such as her banking and personal information. The officer advised her that it was a scam and to not answer strange numbers.

New York State Police

April 12

3:35 p.m. Christopher R. Gover, 38, of Fort Ann was arrested in the Town of Wilton for criminal possession of a controlled substance in the seventh degree, a class A misdemeanor. He was issued an appearance ticket.

April 14

3 p.m. Moriah J Ross, 21, of South Glens Falls was arrested for grand larceny in the fourth degree, specifically of a credit card, a class E felony, and criminal possession of stolen property in the fifth degree, a class A misdemeanor. She was issued an appearance ticket.

8:48 p.m. Dennis J. Grimes, 41, of Cambridge was arrested in the Town of Easton for criminal possession of a controlled substance in the seventh degree, a class A misdemeanor. He was issued an appearance ticket.

April 17

1:57 p.m. Thomas J. Johnson 36, of Argyle was arrested on several charges connected to a domestic dispute, specifically, criminal obstruction of breathing, criminal mischief with intent to damage property and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child, all class A misdemeanors. He was being held.

Vermont State Police

April 4

10 p.m. Vermont State Police conducted a traffic stop for a speed violation at Exit 3 for Arlinton off U.S. Route 7. Investigation revealed that the operator of the vehicle, Cody J. Clark, 25, of Arlington had a criminally suspended driver’s license. Clark also had an active arrest warrant for a previous failure to appear on a criminal charge of driving with a suspended license. He was subsequently placed under arrest and transported to the Shaftsbury State Police Barracks for processing, then transported to the Southern State Correctional Facility.

April 6

11:29 p.m. Vermont State Police responded to a reported assault that occurred in the Town of Clarendon. Further investigation revealed that Ian Kyhill, 34, of Clarendon had caused pain and injury to a family or household member. He was transported to the Vermont State Police Barracks in Rutland Town for processing where he was issued court-ordered conditions of release and a citation to appear in Rutland County Superior Court, Criminal Division, at a later date.

April 16

5:06 p.m. Vermont State Police received a complaint about a citizen dispute in the parking lot at the Hannaford supermarket in Rutland Town. Subsequent investigation revealed Robert Horick, 58, of Rutland Town violated an active trespass order. Horick was issued a citation to appear at the Rutland County Superior Court, Criminal Division, at a later date to answer to the charge of unlawful trespassing and was released.

6:42 p.m. Vermont State Police were notified that an individual had been observed shoplifting at the Hannaford supermarket in Rutland Town. Upon arrival, troopers spoke with a store employee who had observed the individual in question, Grover Pangburn, 46, of Rutland City, leave the store in possession of stolen merchandise. Pangburn also was found to be unlawfully trespassing at the store. The driver of the vehicle Pangburn was in was identified as Amber Hannan, 27, who was found to have an active warrant for which she was subsequently arrested. Pangburn was issued a citation of appear at Vermont Superior Court, Criminal Division, at a later date, while Hannan was transported to Chittenden Regional Correctional Center.

April 17

11:34 a.m. Vermont State Police responded to a reported theft at Dick’s Sporting Goods in Rutland Town. Upon arrival troopers discovered Shaun Ritchie, 47, reportedly a transient, had removed merchandise from the store and left without paying for the items. Troopers discovered Ritchie had fled on foot to the Holiday Inn where he was located in the motel’s hallway and charged with retail theft. Further investigation revealed Ritchie also was charged in a retail theft from the same Dick’s Sporting Goods on April 15, 2021. Ritchie was charged with that theft, too, and was issued a citation to appear at Rutland Superior Court, Criminal Division, at a later date.

3:40 p.m. Vermont State Police were notified of a trespassing complaint at Dick’s Sporting Goods in Rutland Town. Upon arrival at the store, troopers contacted Robert Horick, 58, of Rutland Town. Horick has an active trespass notice against him for this location and was issued a citation to appear at Vermont Superior Court, Criminal Division, at a later date.

April 18

2:38 p.m. Vermont State Police were notified of a trespassing complaint at Dick’s Sporting Goods in Rutland Town. Upon arrival, troopers made contact once again with Robert Horick, 58, of Rutland Town. Horick has several active trespass notices against him at this location. He was issued a citation to appear at Vermont Superior Court, Criminal Division, at a later date.