Reminiscent of boys during the Revolution who were too young to serve as soldiers, young musicians Caleb Bromley on the drum and Joshua Bromley on the bagpipes recently called guests together for a celebration of the new Kingsbury Street Cemetery historic road sign obtained through a generous grant from the William G. Pomeroy Foundation.
The fife and drum, able to be heard over long distances, provided high- and low-pitched sounds for communication during march and battle. The Bromley boys led the march that assembled the group in the early section of the 1780s Kingsbury Street Burial Ground to begin the ceremony dedicating the new sign.
Dale and Joan Prouty from the Kingsbury Cemetery Association discussed their quest of locating primary document sources for the 21 Revolutionary War veterans in order to obtain the history marker.
The Proutys spoke about Kingsbury during the American Revolution and the history of the Kingsbury Cemetery. Then Molly Brisbin, 10, and Hailey Brisbin, 12, announced the 21 Revolutionary veterans laid to rest in the Kingsbury Street Burial Ground.
The marker also includes language stating: “U.S. Representative Henry C. Martindale is buried here.” Martindale served five terms in the United States Congress (1823-1835), had a law office in Sandy Hill and was appointed a canal appraiser by New York Governor Seward.
Assemblywoman Carrie Woerner spoke to the importance of maintaining area history and praised the group for bringing attention to this site. Kingsbury Supervisor Dana Hogan represented the Kingsbury Town Board and three descendants of Revolutionary War veterans also were in attendance.
American flags marked the graves of all 38 military veterans interred in the Kingsbury Cemetery, which gave guests the opportunity to observe the well-worn stones that honor these soldiers. Several stones are in need of mending, re-setting or straightening and cleaning. Friends of the Revolutionary Burial Ground hope to obtain grants and donations for future restoration efforts.