Police Beat, Nov. 5

Editor’s note: An arrest or a charge is not a conviction. All persons listed are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Charges can be amended or dismissed.

Granville Police Department

Oct. 23

3 a.m. After receiving a call on the station line, police went to a West Main Street apartment to speak with a 53-year-old woman who claimed she was alarmed by something in her yard. From her porch the woman said “see it, right there” to the responding officer. The officer walked over into the direction the woman was pointing and observed two sapling trees. The woman told the officer what alarmed her was right in front of him. The officer then shined his flashlight on the tree branches and leaves blowing in the wind and the woman said that was what she saw. After realizing there was not someone in her yard, the woman went back inside.

Oct. 25

12:30 a.m. Police were dispatched to a house on Washington Street for a reported domestic dispute at a party. Upon arrival, police observed multiple individuals standing in the front yard confused as to why the police showed up. One officer asked a woman if any fighting had occurred and the woman said her 24-year-old niece had been in a verbal argument with the niece’s 31-year-old fiance, a man who had left the party on foot. The 24-year-old woman was crying and stated she was fine and that it was just an argument. Police could detect a strong odor of alcohol from her breath, to which the 24-year-old admitted having been drinking all night, and then refused to cooperate and wanted to go back inside. Police were able to locate the 31-year-old man walking on Irving Avenue with another man. After interviewing the 31-year-old, police learned that the man became irritated that he was unable to find an item he brought to the party and that all the party-goers were too intoxicated to help him find what he was looking for. The 31-year-old said he wanted to leave the party but his fiance did not, resulting in an argument in the front yard. After the 31-year-old man told police he was going to walk to an address on County Route 24 with his friend, the officers provided the men a courtesy ride to the location.

2 a.m. Police ended up being dispatched to the same Washington Street address from an hour and a half prior to assist the 24-year-old woman from earlier who was highly intoxicated and locked herself in the bathroom to get away from the men at the party. The caller turned out to be the 31-year-old man who is the 24-year-old woman’s fiance, saying he was concerned for her safety. Upon arrival, police located and spoke with the 24-year-old woman again who said she was drinking, needed a ride home and didn’t want to be at the party anymore. Police gave the woman a courtesy ride home after she said she wanted to check on the welfare of her dog.

Oct. 26

7:35 p.m. After patrolling to a South Street residence, police were notified by a 71-year-old woman that her 48-year-old son was intoxicated and yelling, and that she wanted him removed from the property. The woman apologized to the officer for calling but couldn’t handle the noise coming from her son in the garage anymore, saying he drinks, is miserable and loud. The officer advised the mother that he didn’t have the authority to remove the son from his residence, but that he would speak with him about leaving for the night or to stay in the garage and avoid contact. The son was highly intoxicated and stated his mother probably called because of his music and said that “she’s losing it.” The son agreed to stay in the garage for the night, where he claimed to live now, and reduce the noise.

Oct. 27

8:15 p.m. Police were dispatched to a Washington Street home for a reported drug overdose. Upon arrival, the officer located a 17-year-old boy in the upstairs kitchen who claimed he had taken about six grams of hallucinogenic mushrooms. The 17-year-old said he had taken them before, but never had results like this before. The officer advised EMS the scene was secure and stayed with the 17-year-old boy and his 43-year-old mother until EMS arrived to transport them to Glens Falls Hospital for evaluation.

8:30 p.m. Dispatch advised Granville police that a 16-year-old boy was missing from his residence on State Route 22, and that the juvenile’s 35-year-old mother had last spoken to him around 6 p.m. about an incident that had occurred at school where the juvenile told the principal he was sick of school, was an adult and was going to Florida. The mother advised the officer she believed her son was staying at a residence on North Maple Street. Upon arrival, the owner of the Maple Street residence claimed she last saw the child around 6 p.m. when her own son was leaving the house. The North Maple Street homeowner then contacted her son who said he left separately from when the 16-year-old missing boy did, and that he was unsure of where he was going. Both the North Maple Street mother and son said they would advise the police if they contacted the missing boy. Police then checked a location on Church Street where the missing boy had been known to frequent. The girl at the Church Street location said she last talked to the missing boy around 6 p.m. as well, and that he told her he was actually planning on leaving this time by saying “goodbye” via SnapChat message. The Church Street girl agreed she would notify the police if she contacted the missing boy as well. The officer was able to contact the 35-year-old mother of the missing juvenile, claiming she was concerned for her son’s welfare. She then stated to the officer that her son has a history of mental health issues and that she wanted to file a missing persons report, including that if he were to be located, she wanted him transported to Glens Falls Hospital’s mental health unit. The 35-year-old woman told the officer that the school nurse contacted her earlier in the day saying that the missing boy had told the nurse he had slipped and fell with a knife cutting up a deer. The nurse notified the mother that he needed stitches for his leg, as it was a significant cut.

After patrolling the Village of Granville, police were unable to locate the missing boy. The mother stated he was last known to be in either the Village or Town of Granville or possibly traveling to Bennington, Vermont.

Oct. 29

9 p.m. Police were dispatched to Glen Street behind the VIP Barbershop where the caller had claimed there was an excavator parked behind the building and was running, but with no one around the excavator. Police turned it off, removed the key and contacted the Department of Public Works Superintendent of the situation so he could advise the company in the morning.

Whitehall Police Department

Oct. 23

4:30 p.m. A 47-year-old South Williams Street woman reported to police that she believed her canoe that was stored in the yard of 88 South Williams Street was stolen. The reporting officer canvased the neighborhood and found that a neighbor had moved the canoe to a safe area out of the weather until the owner came and claimed it. Nothing further.

10:55 p.m. A 52-year-old North Mountain Street woman stated that she saw a black pickup truck and that she heard girls screaming out of it. The woman did not see any girls and she did not get a license plate number. The woman told police that the truck went from Skene Street to Williams Street. She also wanted the reporting officer to check on the elderly and patrol the area. No vehicle observed. Nothing further.

11:57 p.m. A 37-year-old Queen Street man told police that one again people were trying to enter his apartment. He stated that he saw someone trying to turn the knob on the back door. The reporting officer reported to the residence and observed the man with a long thin saw and a long knife. The officer ordered him to place the saw and knife onto the hood of his patrol car. The man pointed to where he thought the people tried to gain entry. The officer reported no signs of forced entry. The man went back inside for the night. The reporting officer took possession of the knife and saw. Nothing further.

Oct. 29

5:45 p.m. A 34-year-old Poultney Street woman reported that a 32-year-old Poultney Street man was throwing things around as he is currently moving out of the residence. The reporting officer spoke with the woman’s wife who said that the parties are friends and the man was getting irate about things as he was moving out and broke a door. The man told police that there would be no further problems. Nothing further.

New York State Police

Oct. 26

12:52 a.m. Joseph W. Darfler, 40, of Eagle Bridge was arrested for a domestic dispute, specifically criminal mischief with intent to damage property, a class A misdemeanor. He was issued an appearance ticket.

Oct. 30

7:03 p.m. Michael P. O’Neil, 67, of Greenwich was arrested in the Town of Jackson for driving while intoxicated, specifically operating a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol content of 0.08% and DWI, both first offenses and class U misdemeanors. He was issued an appearance ticket.

Nov. 1

1:40 a.m. George F. Gray, 48, of Hudson Falls was arrested in the town of Kingsbury for disorderly conduct/disturbance, specifically, menacing in the third degree, a class B misdemeanor, and criminal mischief in the second degree, a class D felony. He was being held.

Vermont State Police

Oct. 15

10 p.m. Vermont State Police responded to an armed robbery complaint at the Stewart’s Shop at 116 Main St. in West Rutland. Throughout the following week, Vermont State Police continued their investigation and as a result on Thursday, Oct. 22, they arrested Jeffrey Kozikowski, 41, of West Rutland and charged him with assault and robbery. On Oct. 26, Kozikowski was arraigned and was ordered held without bail.

Oct. 26

4:24 p.m. Vermont State Police were notified of a single motor vehicle crash on Warren Switch Road in the Town of Pawlet. During the investigation, troopers observed several signs of impairment and subsequently screened the operator, identified as Michael Blake, 19, of Pawlet, for driving under the influence. Blake was transported to the Vermont State Police Barracks in Rutland for processing, then released with a citation to appear at Rutland Superior Court, Criminal Division at a later date.

Oct. 27

2:34 a.m. Vermont State Police were notified of a vehicle stuck in a ditch in the Town of Killington. During the investigation, troopers observed several signs of impairment and subsequently screened the operator, Joshua Lamarca, 28, of Rutland, for driving under the influence. Lamarca was taken into custody and transported to the Vermont State Police Barracks in Rutland for processing. He was released with a citation to appear at Rutland Superior Court, Criminal Division at a later date.

Oct. 30

12:59 p.m. Vermont State Police were notified of a single-vehicle rollover crash on East Wells Road in Wells. Upon arrival, troopers observed a black 2019 Jeep Cherokee on its roof with substantial damage and identified the operator as Christopher Hayes, 32, of Granville. Hayes sustained injury but declined medical treatment. During investigation, Hayes displayed signs of impairment and was screened for DUI. He was transported to the Castleton Police Department for processing, then released on citation to appear at Vermont Superior Court, Criminal Division on Monday, Nov. 16, at 10 a.m.

Oct. 31

4:45 a.m. Vermont State Police responded to a domestic dispute at 48 East St. in Proctor. While en route troopers were notified one party who was intoxicated had left the scene in a vehicle. A BOLO was placed out for the vehicle and it was located in the parking lot of the Proctor Library, where troopers conducted an investigatory stop. The operator and lone occupant of the vehicle was identified as Damien W. Herry, 29, of Proctor. Investigation determined that Herry was possibly under the influence, and standard field sobriety exercises were administered. Herry ultimately was arrested for suspicion of DUI and transported to the Vermont State Police Rutland Barracks for processing. He was later released on a citation to appear in Rutland County Court.